Need a recommendation. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Need a recommendation.

I know, I know another opinion thread...anyways...

Currently own a Toshiba HD-A2, love it, however I wanna go neutral and get a Blu-Ray player. This will be a Christmas gift so I have a few weeks. Anyways, I have a Pioneer Elite AVR 54TX - no HDMI, but full 7.1 analog in's.

I'd really like to experience lossless sound (my HD-A2 has no analogs so I havent been able to hear TrueHD or PCM). What player would be best? The new Panny sounded great until I realized it didnt decode internally. Would the Sammy 1400 be the best choice? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM

Look at the 1st gen panny. I believe it does it all and is a solid player. The 1400 seems to have some playback issues and several members on this site have reported they returned their's.

My overall recommendation would be to go with the PS3 and save up for a receiver (the onkyo av receiver is ~$400). The reason I would go with the PS3 is it seems to work very well. Very rarely do you here of any playback issues with this player.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 PM

Buying another receiver is not something I'm really considering at this point. I am really happy with my Pioneer Elite, even though its a few years old and lacks HDMI. The old Panny will internally decode TrueHD but not DTS HD, correct?

I've been reading that the Sammy's were having some issues, I was hoping a firmware update would correct most of those. That was appealing because of the DTS HD support and HDMI v1.3 spec as well. I dont care about the 1.1spec as I dont usually watch the spec features and PiP stuff.

This is a tough choice...the pioneer elite and Sony 500 are a bit out of my price range and I wasnt really considering those. Am I missing any other options?