Does bDP 1400 not upscale? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Does bDP 1400 not upscale?

I just read that the Samsung 1400 does not upscale sd dvds. Is this correct? I can't believe this is accurate. Anybody know?
Also is this player limited to 5.1? didn't know this either if true. Nelll you out there? What's the scoop? I'm still debating getting this player.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I just read that the Samsung 1400 does not upscale sd dvds. Is this correct? I can't believe this is accurate. Anybody know?
I do not use the Samsung 1400 to watch SD DVD, I prefer my HD-A2. I tried a few SD DVDs in the Sammy and I was not much impressed but for the price you won't get something better than that. The 1200 has a better chip to upconvert SD DVD (per the AVS forum users) . Honestly, I don't care because I donít have more than 20 SD DVD in my collection. The player can upscale SD DVD but maybe not as good as the other players.

Quote:
Also is this player limited to 5.1? didn't know this either if true. Nelll you out there? What's the scoop? I'm still debating getting this player
Yep. The player does not have 7.1. But still, you will be able to get the 5.1 PCM track
I am very happy about the player's performance. I only care about the movie and only the movie. I do not care about loading times or java or HDi anymore. Don't get me wrong. I want it a player with profile 1.1 for the simple fact that BD it's always changing specs but I am happy with my 1.0 player. I can get PCM and TrueHD audio and a stunning picture quality so why do you have to worry about 7.1? You can get a receiver with 7.1 outputs and better upscaling capabilities later on.

Some people said that the BD-1200 has better upscaling capabilities but for the price and the features I will said go for the 1400.

After I got the Samy 1400 I changed my mind about specs. I just want to have Lossless audio and 1080p picture quality. Just buy something you like and stop listening to the crazy people on the web; they can drive you crazy sometimes.

Check this thread at the AVS forum, it's about 34 pages long but I went through every one of them, please do the same and draw your own conclusions. Just keep in mind that the thread was created on Sep. 01. 07 and you may encounter complains about the player but most of them were fixed after the firmware update. The biggest complain was about the Bitstream via HDMI but the problem got a fix from Samsung later on.

Before you check the thread, read the observations from Joerod (AVS special member)
Quote:
I have had it and played many Blu ray titles on it and even compared them to the 94HD Pioneer unit. I will say first off that the picture Q is every bit as good as the Pioneers. Seriously. At least for when it comes to Blu ray discs. Standard dvd playback is not as good as the XA2s but I would have predicted that since the 1400 does not have HQV. Set up on this thing is a breeze. I was trying to send the Dolby TrueHD via bitstream to see if by chance my 905 would show it but no dice! And for some reason the 905 does not want to play the advanced codecs in Ultra2 cinema which is my favorite mode. It does with the Pioneer 94HD ad the XA2. I will have to play around some more and try and figure that one out. Anyway, the load times are pretty quick. Much faster then the three other Blu ray players I own. If one was only wanting this unit for Blu ray discs then there is NOT a better priced player versus Blu ray picture on the market. The sound was also very good even though I have the one hiccup. Most would not even care and would be completely satisfied. I still plan to check out there 2400 unit. I also already pre ordered (don't ask me where) a Denon 3800BDCI. I plan to compare them as well. I know many are worried about the deadline for the new players coming but if you don't care about that and just want straight up Blu ray playtime then this 1400 unit is your answer. When the price drops it will be an even better deal! 1080p/23.98 (24) has never been this cheap and looked this good!
Samsung BDP1400 Discussion Thread (AVS Forum)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900924
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Again, thanks Nelll for the info.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM

it can upscale but doesn't have the Reon HQV chip in the Toshibas and the 1200 and the higher tier 3rd gen BD player from Sammy that was cancelled so it doesnt upscale as well

and are you sure about the audio?
i don't see how it couldn't do 7.1 over HDMI it may only have 5.1 analog outs but over HDMI i would think it could do 7.1
Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 AM

The majority of the players can only internally decode 5 channels. Those that can decode more channels internally clearly document it in the manual. This players manual does not mention 7.1 so you have to assume 5.1 whether through analog or hdmi.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Again, thanks Nelll for the info.
Any time. For more questions please go see Glocks. (he is one of the best in the HT forum).
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM

So for upscaling I should use my HD A-30 instead of the 1400?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmok View Post
So for upscaling I should use my HD A-30 instead of the 1400?
Check the AVS forum. They have dedicated people making reviews about that.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Nelll, thank you for your info on the 1400. I just bought mine this past weekend. I had read the threads on the machine on highdefdigest. The comments seemed generally positive and felt I had made the right move as the price, $399, was the lowest I had seen. I had been tracking it, looking for a deal. I have only played one movie all the way through on the 1400 so far, 300, because it was one of the free ones in the store. I did try loading a few other discs that I got the other day. They all loaded just fine without too much delay. Even POTC 1, which I have heard can take some time to load, went fine. It played fine and the PQ was awesome.

Yesterday, I started reading the 1400 thread that you refer to on AVS. My head was going to explode. The overwhelming complaints versus those who were happy started me thinking that I had made a mistake. They were all exchanging them for the Panny 30. I only play movies; don't care about the extras, etc. When I just read the latest posts here, I started to back off on returning it. Granted, I haven't yet run the machine through the paces but I am hoping this 1400 works out. I also have the HD-DVD A-20 and use it to up convert my STD DVD's so no issue there. I have heard that Ratatouille is the disc to test your machine out for reliability. I will try that within the next week. Again, thanks for the positive comments. It is good to know that there are people that are having a good experience with the 1400. I hope for the same result.