Regionfree Blu-ray player for regular DVDs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Regionfree Blu-ray player for regular DVDs?

Hey all

I believe what's keeping many from entering the hi-def market in Europe is the region coding. The same was an issue back when DVD was surfacing.

I'd like to think of the digital market being a "global village" and people all over Europe are today stocked with both region 1, 2 and 3 movies (regular DVDs).

If Blu-ray players could be cracked - most of all the infamous PS3 - so they'd play regular DVDs - the war would be over. Seriously.

And Blu-ray wins.

As for myself, I own 350 DVD movies; half of which are region 1..

And I am *NOT* entering the hi-def market before this problem is solved; as in.. when Blu-ray players can be cracked.

Most cult classics and special edition movies and not forgetting the growing TV-series on DVD (by season) are ONLY on region 1.

So there aaaaare other reasons than people trying to buy movies cheap in other countries, or not seeing a movie in the cinema before it pops through your door on DVD... Are you listening, Sony?

You should be.

Anyway...

Anyone know of ANY region-free players or rumors of upcoming cracks for the BDP-S300 (which I have fallen in love with) or the PS3 (that's still the best hi-def BUY of ALL)... or some non-Sony brand or... anything?

Until then.. Europe won't join in. Count on it.

PS: As for Blu-ray itself; that can stay region-locked. No problem. Movies have mostly been region free and now that they're beginning to region lock them, they're coming out in ALL regions for all markets. So that's NOT a problem.

Last edited by Rainfox; 10-28-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM

I've read there are ways to crack the HD DVD players for regular dvd multi-region playing but it involves taking the machine itself apart so i doubt many would be into that.
I haven't heard of a way for blu ray.
Easiest way to play region free is to buy a player like a yamaha or philips player that uprate picture quite well and that you can make region free with a few button pushes of your remote.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Thanks!

Canuck - thanks

What are the names of the Yamaha or Philips blu-ray players, because if that's the case as far as region coding goes, I'm getting one NOW!

I'd appreciate it, thanks..

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

he's talking about region free upconvert dvd players...
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Yeah these aren't blu ray players.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM

I think he's asking if you can take a Blu-Ray player and make it play regular dvds from anywhere.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I've read there are ways to crack the HD DVD players for regular dvd multi-region playing but it involves taking the machine itself apart so i doubt many would be into that.
That's kinda interesting. I had to buy a second oppo DVD player to do this. Do you have a link?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfox View Post
I believe what's keeping many from entering the hi-def market in Europe is the region coding. The same was an issue back when DVD was surfacing.

...I am *NOT* entering the hi-def market before this problem is solved;
For High Def media this problem has been solved, it's called HD DVD.

I had my old PS2 as a backup DVD player for a long time and never found a DVD region hack. I don't expect it to happen for the PS3.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
That's kinda interesting. I had to buy a second oppo DVD player to do this. Do you have a link?

Not really but i'm sure a few minutes with google will do it.There are also websites dedicated to providing region free cracks for s dvd players.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 AM

you can crack many "regular" dvd players, but the players also need to be able to convert PAL to NCST. don't forget this also.