PS3 stopped reading blu-ray movies! Help! - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default PS3 stopped reading blu-ray movies! Help!

Hey all,

I just finished watching all the special features on The Shining. I watched the film last night without a single problem, and the features all played just fine.

Afterwards I popped in my copies of The Prestige and Pirates of the Caribbean that just arrived from Amazon today. I watched parts of each. The Prestige played fine, and Pirates started fine. After a few minutes, the picture went crazy. It got all pixellated and glitchy. I stopped playback and checked the disc. It was flawless, so I tried it again.

It played the previews on the disc, but when it came time for the movie it just sat at a black screen. I tried another disc, including discs that I have watched in full, and NONE of them work! Same situation - it'll play any previews (though it now stutters through them), but will not play the movie itself.

Attempting to go back to the PS3 menu or shutting off the system results in a black screen while the lights flash before the system beeps then shuts itself off.

It plays PS2 games and regular DVDs just fine. I don't own any PS3 games to test, unfortunately.

Has this happened to anybody else? Can anybody offer any suggestions or fixes?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Coaler's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddy3 View Post
Hey all,

I just finished watching all the special features on The Shining. I watched the film last night without a single problem, and the features all played just fine.

Afterwards I popped in my copies of The Prestige and Pirates of the Caribbean that just arrived from Amazon today. I watched parts of each. The Prestige played fine, and Pirates started fine. After a few minutes, the picture went crazy. It got all pixellated and glitchy. I stopped playback and checked the disc. It was flawless, so I tried it again.

It played the previews on the disc, but when it came time for the movie it just sat at a black screen. I tried another disc, including discs that I have watched in full, and NONE of them work! Same situation - it'll play any previews (though it now stutters through them), but will not play the movie itself.

Attempting to go back to the PS3 menu or shutting off the system results in a black screen while the lights flash before the system beeps then shuts itself off.

It plays PS2 games and regular DVDs just fine. I don't own any PS3 games to test, unfortunately.

Has this happened to anybody else? Can anybody offer any suggestions or fixes?
Phone Sony! when your drive stops working properly there is nothing we can do to help. Phone Sony and tell them whats going on. You will probably have to send it in for repair (ala 360 style)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default

That's the thing, though... technically the drive IS working. It plays previews on blu-ray movies, just not the film itself. It plays PS2 discs and standard DVDs without a problem.

I suppose I'll probably have to call Sony, but it's just puzzling that it won't play the movie, yet the previews play.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
vooswing's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddy3 View Post
That's the thing, though... technically the drive IS working. It plays previews on blu-ray movies, just not the film itself. It plays PS2 discs and standard DVDs without a problem.

I suppose I'll probably have to call Sony, but it's just puzzling that it won't play the movie, yet the previews play.
I think the PS3 has both a red and a blue laser so that would explain why it's still reading PS2 games and DVD's. The fact it plays the BD previews is puzzling though....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default

I just tested my Bram Stoker's Dracula disc too. That movie boots to a menu instead of immediately playing the film.

It went to the menu just fine, but when I attempted to play the movie I got the same endless black screen.

I'll try a hard reset tomorrow to see if that has any effect. If not, I guess I'll have to call Sony.

To be honest, my PS3 has been problematic from the day I bought it in September. The first blu-ray I bought was Dracula and it froze 10 minutes into the film and wouldn't respond to anything. I shut down, restarted, and haven't had another problem until tonight.

If worse comes to worse, I'm still within the exchange period (90 days), so I can always try that...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
MrE's Avatar
MrE MrE is offline
Formerly MrENGLISH
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,966
Default

Why bother calling Sony? Just exchange it since its only a month new. I've had mine since Feb and have never had a problem with it. Sounds like you just need to get rid of your problematic PS3
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
Why bother calling Sony? Just exchange it since its only a month new. I've had mine since Feb and have never had a problem with it. Sounds like you just need to get rid of your problematic PS3
It was really just a matter of the hassle of packing the thing up and taking it back. I was hoping it was something that could be solved without having to unhook everything (which is a major pain in my cramped space).

Like I said, I'll try a hard reset tomorrow, just in case. I read that it seemed to fix some freezing and disc read problems for others, so maybe I'll luck out. If not, back to Best Buy I go...

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
MrE's Avatar
MrE MrE is offline
Formerly MrENGLISH
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,966
Default

if you are just swapping it out for same model, you only need to bring in your receipt and PS3 unit... nothing else. They will just hand you the new unit and keep the box, cables, controller etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If studios stopped including DVDs/Digital Copies with Blu-ray, what would sales do? GizmoDVD High Definition Smackdown 23 06-27-2011 01:05 PM
ps3 is not reading please help Astreocclu Game Room 5 08-20-2008 04:28 AM
HD DVD Add on Stopped Reading HD DVDs! HELP! pwrof3 HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 25 02-11-2008 01:35 PM
PS3 owners have stopped buying Bluray, proof and numbers VC-1 High Definition Smackdown 198 06-13-2007 05:29 PM
Microsoft could have stopped the Blu-ray/HD DVD war Master X High Definition Smackdown 40 06-08-2007 04:56 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off