Samsung Confirms Profile 1.1 For BD-UP5000 Dual-Format Player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2007, 04:29 PM
HDD Founder

Default Samsung Confirms Profile 1.1 For BD-UP5000 Dual-Format Player

Samsung has sent out a media alert confirming that its upcoming BD-UP5000 player will be Profile 1.1 compliant, but Gizmodo is reporting that the player will require an upcoming firmware update to actually playback Profile 1.1 discs.

Full story:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1103
Old 10-24-2007, 04:34 PM

You know with it being a dual format player and HD DVD already requiring PiP, there is no reason this player shouldnt be 1.1 compliant. I am really surprised that the second gen LG isnt 1.1 compliant since I think it now meets HD DVD specs.

Edit: I forgot 1.1 spec requires 256MB of memory as well. Not sure what HD DVD requires so this might be the reason the LG isnt 1.1 compliant.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Default To expensive

PS3 40GB model: $399.99 by next month
HD-DVD Player: $299.99 by XMAS with sale

PS3 can be updated to confirm to Profile 1.1 and 2.0 at any time. HD-DVD player already at full spec, nothing more to add except stability and DTS-HD HR and MA decoding.

Cheaper to get 2 separate machines.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
You know with it being a dual format player and HD DVD already requiring PiP, there is no reason this player shouldnt be 1.1 compliant. I am really surprised that the second gen LG isnt 1.1 compliant since I think it now meets HD DVD specs.

Edit: I forgot 1.1 spec requires 256MB of memory as well. Not sure what HD DVD requires so this might be the reason the LG isnt 1.1 compliant.
I am very excited about this player. With the inclusion of Dolby True and DTS HD & Master decoding, the HQV upscaling processor, 7.1 analog output, full interactivity with both formats, this is going to be one great machine. Already I am seeing it show up for $799 on selected web sites. Now, if you figure the Toshiba 1080P entry player and the upcoming $399 playstation, that's around 800.00, but neither has 7.1 analog outs and neither has that beautiful Reon HQV upscaling processor.

I had purchased the Samsung bd-p1200 blu-ray player, but within my 30 day return time, they had announced this combi player. Also in that period of time, Paramount went to hd-dvd, so I took the 1200 back and am currently without any hd disc player. Anyway, the Samsung 1200 that I had produced an absolutely stunning picture, both with HD blu-rays and the upscaling (that model had the HQV as well) was fantastic.

I am in excited mode now!!!!!!!!!! I am sure there are those on this web site who own one format and want to go to both and provided they can afford this player, this seems like the way to go, or for anyone who has waited it out, well, even if one format dies, they will have an excellent player for the remaining format, with HQV as well. In the meantime, it's play everything time! I really don't have enough saved for this, but this time I think a charge on my Visa is in order, only 24.00 a month at 6% interest. I have only purchased one blu-ray, CHICAGO, but decided to just rent, for now, from Netflix and Blockbuster online. They carry every title (Blockbuster has alot more Blu-ray, especially in the local stores they are all blu-ray around here). When the movies come down in price a bit, I will start buying them, or when they start releasing the classics like Sound of Music, Ben Hur,ect...then I am really going to be in buying mode.

Last edited by MNTWISTER; 10-24-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2jzgte View Post

PS3 can be updated to confirm to Profile 1.1 and 2.0 at any time. HD-DVD player already at full spec, nothing more to add except stability and DTS-HD HR and MA decoding.

The $399 is the suggested retail of the Playstation 3. I wouldn't be surprised if we see around $350 or maybe even less with the holiday-heavy competition. As for buying 2 machines,I guess I'd rather have one remote and not have to use a splitter for hdmi since my projector has only one hdmi input. Plus, the BIG deal for me is that neither the Toshiba 1080p entry or the Playstation have the HQV Reon processor for the upscaling. This is extremely important to me (see my other post before this about the Samsung 1200 I had) because of my large dvd collection and being able to make them look the best they can, and after using that machine with the Reon, there is simply no match for upscaling! Plus, I think this new player will be the only player on the market with 7.1 analog outs, and there are some movies with this type of soundtrack, not many available though.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM

The PS3 upscaling is better then most of the upscaling DVD players out there I think. As comparing the Reon and the PS3 I think their comparable.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspec View Post
The PS3 upscaling is better then most of the upscaling DVD players out there I think. As comparing the Reon and the PS3 I think their comparable.
Do you know of any stories on the net about the upconverting of the Playstation? I have heard the same thing, but would like to read more about this, if anyone knows where. And does anyone know if the Playstation 3 has analog outs? I definately need that because my Denon does not have HDMI but does have 7.1 analog inputs.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:59 AM

Personally, I am not impressed with the quality of upconversion from the PS3 at all. Whenever I watch SD-DVDs, I watch them in my A2.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2jzgte View Post

Technically yes it is cheaper to get 2 machines for cheaper. When you do a comparison though you need to do an apples to apples comparison and the one you gave is not an apples to apples comparison. To get the features that are going to be on this Sammy you will be hard pressed to get a better deal (retail and NOT sale price). 7.1 analogs, DTS HD\MA, Reon upscaling, ect, ect. It will also be 1.1 via update (confirmed not speculated). With prices being posted at below 800 at multiple retailers this will be a steal if it pans out.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Default 2400 Canned

An update for you:

At least according to Crave... ...the other half of the news is that Samsung is dropping the 2400. Anyone have another source on this?

Of course, I just joined to post this tidbit, and I cant link URLs yet, so you'll have to see for yourself. Crave dot cnet dot com. Just go back a few articles you should see it. It's Oct 24th news