Panasonic DMP-BD10AK questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Panasonic DMP-BD10AK questions

Does the DMP-BD10AK have hdmi 1.3? Will it ever be able to decode Dolby True HD or the DTS HD Lossless? I own a Onkyo TX-SR705 so I have the ability to decode these formats thru the receiver right? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickherum View Post
Does the DMP-BD10AK have hdmi 1.3?
No.

Quote:
Will it ever be able to decode Dolby True HD or the DTS HD Lossless?
It already does TrueHD. The official word is that DTS-HD MA is being looked at for a future update, but we don't have anything better than that. It does decode DTS-HD (not Master Audio), for what that's worth (I can only think of like 2 titles that even have regular DTS-HD on them).

There's some discussion and text from emails to customer service in this thread:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=20920

Quote:
I own a Onkyo TX-SR705 so I have the ability to decode these formats thru the receiver right? Thanks.
Yes, but the Panasonic won't send the bitstream of those formats to the receiver because it doesn't have HDMI 1.3.

If you're looking to purchase the Panasonic, I have it and recommend it. It has more features than any other Blu-ray player save the PS3 and comes with five good titles in the box--Pirates 1 and 2 are purchases for most people, so it really is like shaving $50 off the price of the player. I'm a huge fan of Crash, and Fantastic 4 and Transporter are pretty popular films as well. The selection here definitely beats the mail-in offer.

It offers good audio settings if you use the analog outs, and does a very nice job with upconversion.

Panasonic has been very good about releasing firmware updates as well. We've been getting them about every two months: 6/19, 8/28, 10/10. I'm pretty sure that if DTS-HD MA is possible, Panasonic will release an update for it. What we're not sure if whether the hardware can handle it--someone read on some forum that DTS-HS MA requires a lot of horsepower to decode, which I don't really believe, since it can't be too much worse than TrueHD. Regular old DTS takes less horsepower to decode than old Dolby Digital because the encoding is less complicated (higher bitrate).