Did Sony Drop The Ball With New Firmware? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Did Sony Drop The Ball With New Firmware?

As an owner of the Sony BDP-S1, when The Descent came out, I picked it up....

Then had issues that it wouldn't play which has been well documented here on the site....

Sony releases a new firmware version which I have installed and confirmed yet I am still having issues with The Descent.....

Although the disc now plays, it does not operate properly....

Feature which you should be able to select on the fly, just cause the unit to freeze up....

Is anyone else having this issue???

Did the firmware fix issues you may of had with other discs?

Lego
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 PM

to answer the title, no because their not here to play catch
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post
As an owner of the Sony BDP-S1, when The Descent came out, I picked it up....

Then had issues that it wouldn't play which has been well documented here on the site....

Sony releases a new firmware version which I have installed and confirmed yet I am still having issues with The Descent.....

Although the disc now plays, it does not operate properly....

Feature which you should be able to select on the fly, just cause the unit to freeze up....

Is anyone else having this issue???

Did the firmware fix issues you may of had with other discs?

Lego
Yeah... I'm still having problems with 'The Descent' in my BDP-S1 after the firmware update... On top of the grueling load time, when I try to stop the disc the player freezes up...

The other problem I was having with the BDP-S1 was with 'Speed'... It wouldn't play before the firmware update... It now plays but it takes about as long to start as 'The Descent'... However, Speed works fine once you get to the main menu... I can't say the same for 'The Descent'...

Also, prior to the firmware update I couldn't play 'The Covenant' (which was probably a good thing)... It wouldn't even load... After the update it loads fine and playback is normal... No extended load times...

When 'The Guardian' came out on Blu-ray a few weeks ago it introduced a new concept to the Blu-ray format... After the trailers and anti-piracy disclaimers at the beginning of the movie; you end up at a screen which allows you to chose between 'Enhanced Mode' and 'Standard Mode'... Having THIS option available allows for advanced JAVA features on the disc; while still allowing playback in players that don't currently have full support for advanced features... The 'Enhanced Mode' seems to playback only in the PS3 at the moment and you must have PS3 firmware update 1.30 or higher to access this mode... The only difference between the 2 modes is that enhanced offers a fully interactive JAVA menu with director audio commentary Q&A on the fly... It seems like something you would get from iME... Really, no big deal...

Anyway... Had 'The Decent' been authored with a similar screen to choose between an Enhanced and Standard mode there probably wouldn't be a problem... The JAVA loading screen/menu/features on 'The Descent' seem to cause a meltdown on my BDP-S1...
Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM

After I set up the firmware for the Sony BDP-S1, my set up for my component cables went down to 480p from 1080i. anyone else having this problem?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangamutt View Post
After I set up the firmware for the Sony BDP-S1, my set up for my component cables went down to 480p from 1080i. anyone else having this problem?

Does the BDP-S1 have manual option for component settings.. I would expect that most people purchasing this unit would have HDMI.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
Does the BDP-S1 have manual option for component settings.. I would expect that most people purchasing this unit would have HDMI.
ill be picking mine up tomorrow hopefully so ill let you know