NEW Panasonic BD10/10A firmware Ver. 2.4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 AM

Default NEW Panasonic BD10/10A firmware Ver. 2.4

I just visited the Panasonic website, and found a new firmware update posted todays (10/10). It says "Playability and Stability for Blu-ray discs and DVD disc", so I assume it may be related to the Fox discs, as some have reported a long loading time for these.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...d10/bd10a.html
Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 PM

thanks for the heads up, doing my update right now, was a little let down though, was hoping to see a DTS master audio update
Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM

I also am still hoping we'll see a DTS-HD MA update sometime.

I am curious what these firmware updates actually do. "Playback and stability" is so vague that it doesn't tell a whole lot. It's absolutely wonderful that they put out these updates, but it would really be nice to know what they're doing too.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM

If they do such a firmware upgrade it will probably end up being Ver. 3.0.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJACK
Players using the current version of our chip can be firmware upgraded, at the player manufacturer's discretion, to add support for DTS-HD HR, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus.

Players using the current version of our chip are not capable of being firmware upgraded to support DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD XLL. Not enough audio DSP horsepower. The new version of the chip (currently being sampled) can support these audio codecs at the player manufacturer's discretion.
I forgot to mention, it looks like we'll have to be happy with DTS-HD HR since the chip can't handle MA. Got this from KJACK at the AVS Forum. It was posted around March when it was found out MA would be missing from the 2.0 FW.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 PM

One thing this update did fix is the issue with the first Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. Now it actually plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
I forgot to mention, it looks like we'll have to be happy with DTS-HD HR since the chip can't handle MA. Got this from KJACK at the AVS Forum. It was posted around March when it was found out MA would be missing from the 2.0 FW.
Well, if it's from March, it probably refers to the slightly older DMP-BD10, without the 'A' tacked onto the end. I do wonder how much got changed when they released the BD10A. They cut the price in half, put in the new firmware and tossed five free movies in the box, but did they change some chips? Maybe the new one became cheaper to produce, so they could make that price cut? At this point, I'm just kinda hoping, but I do wonder if the switch to "A" was more than just a firmware update and an enticing offer.

I find it strange that DTS-HD MA requires a lot of DSP horsepower. Standard DTS is easier on decoders on Dolby Digital because the higher bitrate makes it so that the compressor doesn't have to do many tricks (this is actually why the Toshiba HD players transcode to DTS on the fly--it's a simpler process and easier to do in real time). Did Dolby finally one-up DTS in that TrueHD is a simpler and more efficient codec?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
One thing this update did fix is the issue with the first Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. Now it actually plays.

Well, if it's from March, it probably refers to the slightly older DMP-BD10, without the 'A' tacked onto the end. I do wonder how much got changed when they released the BD10A. They cut the price in half, put in the new firmware and tossed five free movies in the box, but did they change some chips? Maybe the new one became cheaper to produce, so they could make that price cut? At this point, I'm just kinda hoping, but I do wonder if the switch to "A" was more than just a firmware update and an enticing offer.

I find it strange that DTS-HD MA requires a lot of DSP horsepower. Standard DTS is easier on decoders on Dolby Digital because the higher bitrate makes it so that the compressor doesn't have to do many tricks (this is actually why the Toshiba HD players transcode to DTS on the fly--it's a simpler process and easier to do in real time). Did Dolby finally one-up DTS in that TrueHD is a simpler and more efficient codec?
Apparently there are no hardware differences between the BD10 and the BD10A. From a post in another forum, a question about the difference between the units was sent by the poster to Panasonic England. The reply:

Thank you for your email enquiry.

In response, the DMP-BD10A is the black version of the model whereas the DMP-BD10 is the silver model. To clarify the two differences are the remote control and the colour of the unit. The software on the DMP-BD10A is a later version. However, it is possible to update the software on the DMP-BD10 to be the same.

Regards,
Liz Crook
Customer Support
Old 10-11-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsoka View Post
Apparently there are no hardware differences between the BD10 and the BD10A. From a post in another forum, a question about the difference between the units was sent by the poster to Panasonic England. The reply:

Thank you for your email enquiry.

In response, the DMP-BD10A is the black version of the model whereas the DMP-BD10 is the silver model. To clarify the two differences are the remote control and the colour of the unit. The software on the DMP-BD10A is a later version. However, it is possible to update the software on the DMP-BD10 to be the same.

Regards,
Liz Crook
Customer Support
Awww, phooey.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 AM

there is deffinitely differences in the two models, just look it up on cnet, just off the top of my head I know the dmp-bd10 does not have hdmi 1.3 and the bd10a does. it is db10ak that is the different color.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 AM

have to correct myself........ here some things from cnet.......

". It also has support for new higher-resolution soundtrack formats, such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD High Resolution, and you can take advantage of these formats by setting the DMP-BD10 to PCM mode"

but..........

"Forward-thinking buyers also will be quick to note that the DMP-BD10A lacks HDMI 1.3, which is the latest iteration of the HDMI spec. While HDMI 1.3 opens up the possibility for many seemingly worthwhile features--such as the ability to send high-resolution soundtracks in bit stream format"

.....and since as of now its only possible to get dts master audio via bitstream, looks like us panasonic owners are S.O.L.