Problems playing reular DVDs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Problems playing reular DVDs

Hey there, first posting...
I bought a blu ray a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I chose blu ray over HD on the sole reason that Lionsgate chose blu ray (I gotta have Hostel).

Im having one problem though. When I watch a regular DVD, 9 times out of ten, the DVD will stick and I'll have to switch it to my regular DVD player which plays it fine. I was not too concerned until I thought, hmmm, maybe there IS something wrong.

Any help?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprty67 View Post
Hey there, first posting...
I bought a blu ray a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I chose blu ray over HD on the sole reason that Lionsgate chose blu ray (I gotta have Hostel).

Im having one problem though. When I watch a regular DVD, 9 times out of ten, the DVD will stick and I'll have to switch it to my regular DVD player which plays it fine. I was not too concerned until I thought, hmmm, maybe there IS something wrong.

Any help?
Uhhhh...what blu ray player do you have? Do you have the latest firmware installed? Have you considered that it may be a defective unit and just exchange it at the store?

You might want to start there.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM

It is a Samsung BD-P1200

Be nice....what do you mean by firmware?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Firmware

Quote:
It is a Samsung BD-P1200

Firmware is a software upgrade to improve the performance of the player or remove/ repair faults.
Go to the samsung website & find the page on your player. You will find two downloads: 1. Firmware update 2.Owners manual. click on the firmware button & follow the instructions on the next page. Here's a link to the page:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/pr...lu%5Fray%2Esec

If it is easier for you to go back to the store, take it back & ask them to install the latest updates for the player.

Hope this is helpful
Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It is a Samsung BD-P1200

Helo has been kind enough to provide a good explanation of the firmware so I won't tread there.

I had the BDP1200 myself and while I was never satisifed with the player's quality in general I never had a problem playing DVD's. You may very well have a defective unit. If it is recently store bought I would exchange it immediately before it is too late. Did you buy it used from a friend or off eBay? If you did, that may be a different story...Sorry.