PS3 Audio Drops - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 PM

Default PS3 Audio Drops

Well, it started last Friday and thought nothing of it. Tonight, as I watched Black Hawk Down, the Audio seems to drop a lot. It happened every few seconds. It is is quite irritating. I have reset my Audio setting, but nothing.

That same Friday, i figured maybe the update would solve the problem, but lamentably no.

The Ps3 is connected to the Onkyo 605, via HDMI. I have tried changing the setting and nothing. Did anyone out there experience something similar to me? If anyone could help it would be appreciated! I also watched Equilibrium on HD DVD and experienced no audio problems. So, I am assuming now that it is not the receiver.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek7o2 View Post
Well, it started last Friday and thought nothing of it. Tonight, as I watched Black Hawk Down, the Audio seems to drop a lot. It happened every few seconds. It is is quite irritating. I have reset my Audio setting, but nothing.

That same Friday, i figured maybe the update would solve the problem, but lamentably no.

The Ps3 is connected to the Onkyo 605, via HDMI. I have tried changing the setting and nothing. Did anyone out there experience something similar to me? If anyone could help it would be appreciated! I also watched Equilibrium on HD DVD and experienced no audio problems. So, I am assuming now that it is not the receiver.
Hmm. I will check my copy of BHD. I haven't watched it yet. I had some issue with the center channel on a rented Eragon with DTS-HD MA, and after switching the PS3 from PCM to bitstream, it played fine on DTS 7.1.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Also, what channels were you using?

I assume PCM 5.1? Is your PS3 set on Bit Stream or PCM for BD/DVD playback?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Bitstream. I have had no errors for almost 3 months. I have watched many blu rays and Dvds with no sound drops. Then suddenly I watched an anime dvd, and the sound screwed up. Mind you, I thought It was a read error, so I ran a DVD lense cleaner. Tried said DVD again, and the errors continued. I have watched BHD many times already, and never experienced this. Also, I have it set to bitstream. I always have and had had no errors.

And yes, I was using the PCM 5.1, and had errors. I switched back to DD5.1 and the errors were more persistent.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Come to think of it, something similar happened to me a while back with Warner discs.

This happened just after I played some PS2 games.

After I turned off the PS3 and rebooted it, the problem went away. (I assume it was caused by the PS2 game). Did you play a PS2 game prior to watching your BD/DVD?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Haven't Played a ps2 game in a while.
Well, I guess I will have to exchange the PS3 tomorrow. I tried hooking up the HDMI cable directly to the TV. Nothing, the problem is still there.

Last edited by Krycek7o2; 09-19-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Sorry, Did not have time to check BHD.

Did you reboot the PS3? Soft and hard reboot?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Actually, I fixed! I am guessing it was a download error or something, but after reformatting my Hard Disc, it worked flawlessly. I tried BHD, and no errors during playback, in both DD5.1 and Uncompressed 5.1.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:48 AM

Good for you!

That was certainly a weird one.

I hope you did not lose too much content while reformating.