Samsung BDP-1400 Now Supports DTS HD MA bitstream - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Samsung BDP-1400 Now Supports DTS HD MA bitstream

The update to allow this was just released.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...348&prd_ia_cd=

Users on the AVS forums have confirmed their receivers are now decoding DTS HD MA via bitstreaming. I've been looking for a standalone and with this news I'm even more tempted to pick this player up.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned

And all the peoples rejoiced.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM

DAMN ! The 1400 has barely hit the street and a firmware update already to the higher audio codecs.

SAMSUNG....HOW ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING FOR THE 1200 ? It's reasons like this ( lack of support ) THAT I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING WITH THE NAME SAMSUNG ON IT AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Honestly, I am not interested in the AVS forums. I would like to see some feedback on this board from any members if they can confirm this.

I'm curious if bitstream is allowed by only certain discs?
What happened to the issue of basic mode vs. advanced mode on the disc allowing or disallowing DTSHDMA bitstream? Is it not an issue now?

It would sure be nice to be able to put my new $900 receiver to the test.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari Fan View Post
DAMN ! The 1400 has barely hit the street and a firmware update already to the higher audio codecs.

SAMSUNG....HOW ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING FOR THE 1200 ? It's reasons like this ( lack of support ) THAT I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING WITH THE NAME SAMSUNG ON IT AGAIN.
That's just silly talk. Every company does that.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
I'm curious if bitstream is allowed by only certain discs?
It's allowed on every disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
What happened to the issue of basic mode vs. advanced mode on the disc allowing or disallowing DTSHDMA bitstream? Is it not an issue now?
The reason the players were supposed to decode on-board is because there are other sounds that need to be mixed into the audio. The menu sounds, commentary tracks, and the like all need to be mixed into the movie's sound. The player would have to decode the sound, mix in the audio, and then re-encode the audio to send it bitstream to the receiver.

I don't know if they found a way around this, or if they're just ignoring it or whatever. Maybe the receiver does the mixing.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Most Blu-rays are currently authored in 'Basic' mode, which is why the bitstream can work.

All HD DVDs, on the other hand, are authored in 'Advanced' mode in order to live-mix in things like menu audio and for efficiency in storing dub tracks (with 'Advanced' authoring, you only need to store the dialogue portion of the audio for a dub, and the player will mix it in to the rest of the soundtrack for you).

If Blu-rays start being authored in 'Advanced' mode, the bitstream will not work unless the player implements a deliberate workaround (which Toshiba is rumored to be working on for their HD DVD players).
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
It's allowed on every disc...I don't know if they found a way around this, or if they're just ignoring it or whatever. Maybe the receiver does the mixing.
Thanks for explaining this. Either which way I find this as good actually. I am kind of tired of hearing abnoxiously loud clicks and sound effects as I navigate the menus during the movie. A small quirk, but nonetheless annoying.

As for the 1400, I am jealous. I'm interested in hearing DTSHD MA on some of my discs. This is great news.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Why is this news? I've been hearing for over a year than blu-rays all had lossless audio. Now one comes out that merely passes lossless audio that could be converted to sound if you had a decoding AV receiver, and "the world rejoices"?

Why have supporters been claiming it for a year?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post
Why is this news? I've been hearing for over a year than blu-rays all had lossless audio. Now one comes out that merely passes lossless audio that could be converted to sound if you had a decoding AV receiver, and "the world rejoices"?

Why have supporters been claiming it for a year?

You have obviously been trapped in an ice cavern on Antarctica for the past year.