Can the PS3 decode TrueHD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Can the PS3 decode TrueHD?

I have a PS3 that I am running an HDMI cable to an Onkyo TX-SR605.

I have just ordered the new Dave Matthews Radio City Music Hall Blu-ray because I am a big DM fan and because of the reference quality audio the review from this site says it has!

My question is whether the PS3 will be able to decode the TrueHD track on board and sent it in PCM to my new receiver? And if not, can the PS3 stream the TrueHD track over the HDMI cable so that my receiver can decode it? I am really looking forward to my Dave Matthews, just want to make sure I'll get the full benefit!!!

PS - Are there any settings I need to change in the PS3 menus?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post

I have just ordered the new Dave Matthews Radio City Music Hall Blu-ray because I am a big DM fan and because of the reference quality audio the review from this site says it has!

My question is whether the PS3 will be able to decode the TrueHD track on board and sent it in PCM to my new receiver? And if not, can the PS3 stream the TrueHD track over the HDMI cable so that my receiver can decode it? I am really looking forward to my Dave Matthews, just want to make sure I'll get the full benefit!!!

I don't have lossless. How is the 605? I was looking at possibly getting one. (I am also getting the Dave Blu-ray. Made me even more envious of those with lossless after reading this site's review).

I believe the True HD will be processed as PCM (and be displayed as PCM on your receiver). So, you'll still get the lossless sound. Lucky dog! The 605 thread at AVSforum.com should answer your questions. Unless someone here can. From what I've read, you're all set for lossless.

Hopefully someone with more/better info can answer your questions in full.

Take it easy,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM

The PS3 will decode TrueHD. i have the same disc. My sony AVR reads it as 5.1 Linear PCM (96khz)

make sure your PS3 has the audio settings selected for the higher 96khz configurations if they aren't already selected.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post

As the people pointed out above, yes the PS3 decodes it then outputs it as PCM to the receiver. Have the same receiver and am enjoying it. Didn't have an HDMI receiver before so it is an upgrade even though its own decoding lossless abilities are not being used (no standalone on the market yet outputting lossless sound as bitstream).
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Make sure in your PS3 audio option, set it to PCM instead of Bitstream that you can hear the TrueHD sound.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Correct settings mentioned above - the ps3 will support converting TrueHD to PCM up to 24/96 in 7.1 and up to 24/192 in 5.1

that matthews disc definitely sounds like a reference disc - i have ordered it today