Incentives for CE Manufacturers to reaching profile 2.0? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-09-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Incentives for CE Manufacturers to reaching profile 2.0?

If I'm not mistakien profile 1.0 is your basic BD player, 1.1 is Bd player with PIP chip/function & 2.0 is BD player with Pip & ethernet port for internet interactivity.

What motivation is there really for the BD ce companies to attain & use the 1.1 or 2.0 standards?

Are these that much more important to consumers than 1.0?

Will internet download of movies in hidef be the motivation for the ce manuf. & therefore of no real motivation at this point?

What is important for the CE manufacturers at this point in Blu ray technology? Experience in making & selling Bd players or making higher profiled players?

Thanks for commenting!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 AM

I think it's mainly about the blu-ray guys being able to match what HD DVD has been doing since it's inception. While it doesn't seem to be hurting them much in sales, it must at least dent their egos a bit to have a much cheaper format be able to do so much more.

I think for serious movie fans it's also a factor in determining which format disc to buy. I can play both formats but in the case of a Warner title I always buy HD DVD by default, as I know there's a very good chance that the HD DVD version will have much better extras.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM

There is no motivation to switch first for a player competing in the lower end of the player price range. Supporting 1.1 and 2.0 will involve additional hardware cost to add the secondary decoder and Ethernet capabilities, and extra parts means extra cost in both hardware and software. So long as CE companies can get by selling players that cost them less to make, they will do that. Thus all the October launches, before the 1.1 spec becomes mandatory for new players.

And while it may be cynical, I don't doubt that some of the manufacturers may be intrigued by the thought of double-dipping on players, as early adopters go back to buy players that support the later spec revisions. It makes too much sense to be entirely false.

Too bad all of this, because I'd probably have a BD player by now if not for all this revision uncertainty (especially around the PS3).
Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

The incentive to offer a 1.1 player is the fact it's mandatory.

A 2.0 player is there to give customers options. You can offer a basic model and a "BD-Live enabled" player at a higher price point. It is also nice for the customer that way because most people aren't interested in sharing their favorite chapter of Norbit with strangers online, so why should they be paying for that ability?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:03 AM

Default But what other reasons are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
The incentive to offer a 1.1 player is the fact it's mandatory.

A 2.0 player is there to give customers options. You can offer a basic model and a "BD-Live enabled" player at a higher price point. It is also nice for the customer that way because most people aren't interested in sharing their favorite chapter of Norbit with strangers online, so why should they be paying for that ability?
I see about the requirement. The reason I ask the question is to get peoples thoughts on why they would currently be releasing 1.0 players even though the requirement is very soon to be mandatory for 1.1. It begs the question why.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Probably because they were working on these players before it was mandatory, and they needed to release something for the holiday season, so they just buttoned them up and put them out. I'm sure they have the new ones in development now probably announced at CES.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 AM

this is a little off topic, but i am really thinking of getting a ps3, but was curious, has sony said if the ps3 will support 2.0? i cant seem to find any answers on this. thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

uuugh... why do all these comapnies want to release crappy blu ray players... why can't they add bd live and pip and get it done and over with so they can offer a quality product the first time. new hd dvd player just have faster load times and they keep finding ways to upconvert better and just fine tune the players, but all players support everything out of box, just that some take longer to load up, like my dads rca hdv-5000. do they really expect people to double dip on the blu ray players... gen 1 player, 500, bd 1.1 and bd 2.0, progressivly? i'm not spending 1500 for blu ray hardware to get my content. i'm glad i have ps3 which can be upgradeable via software and firmware.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
uuugh... why do all these comapnies want to release crappy blu ray players... why can't they add bd live and pip and get it done and over with so they can offer a quality product the first time. new hd dvd player just have faster load times and they keep finding ways to upconvert better and just fine tune the players, but all players support everything out of box, just that some take longer to load up, like my dads rca hdv-5000. do they really expect people to double dip on the blu ray players... gen 1 player, 500, bd 1.1 and bd 2.0, progressivly? i'm not spending 1500 for blu ray hardware to get my content. i'm glad i have ps3 which can be upgradeable via software and firmware.
Well, ...The point of this thread wasn't really to get into Hd dvd vs BD... & I'm not convinced that the players are "crappy." As players most of them score quite high on pq/aq & other features more common to home theatre.(the ones reviewed, at least.)

Yes, the upconverters on hd players are good... & you already know that that's not format related... speed is maybe a little... but Bd is looking to overtake hd there with sharps players...
The more interesting questions are:
Do the CEs feel confident in these 1.0 players as good enough?

Are they simply getting experience with bd by making these players? Testing the waters, if you will.

Or do they not simply not think the newer specs matter?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Default It's shut me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
If I'm not mistakien profile 1.0 is your basic BD player, 1.1 is Bd player with PIP chip/function & 2.0 is BD player with Pip & ethernet port for internet interactivity.

What motivation is there really for the BD ce companies to attain & use the 1.1 or 2.0 standards?

Are these that much more important to consumers than 1.0?

Will internet download of movies in hidef be the motivation for the ce manuf. & therefore of no real motivation at this point?

What is important for the CE manufacturers at this point in Blu ray technology? Experience in making & selling Bd players or making higher profiled players?

Thanks for commenting!
That alone must be a huge incentive.