Blu Ray Media Center??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Blu Ray Media Center???

Hey, i am confronting buying a blu ray drive but instead of just a standalone, i was thinking i should replace all my existing media devices with one single device to do nearly everything (except play games), so a media center PC seems quite adequate, however i am not sure in terms of quality of specification which is better, for example will a PC decode the lossless sound formats as well as a standalone if at all (i know motherboards have onboard HD audio, but i am not too fammiliar with the specifications to the requirements they work with)

Any help on what i've asked there would be great
Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM

No PC hardware that I know of will decode any of the HD audio formats. The "onboard HD audio" is a marketing ploy to make it sound like the PC has incredible audio fidelity.

There *actually* is no such thing as "HD sound," like there is for video. We call TrueHD and company that sometimes because it accompanies HD video on our optical discs, but there's no official specification for HD sound like there is for HD video.

What you'll need is a software player that can decode all these sound formats. CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra will decode TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus (mandatory, since it's a software HD-DVD player).

However, you'll need to be very careful with this stuff. Because of HDCP, if you don't hook the PC up to a compliant monitor, you might not get any video. You'll need to check to make sure the video card supports it. The best bet is probably to find one with an HDMI output, since HDMI has to support HDCP as part of its specification. Some of the ATi (like the X1950) cards support HDCP though their DVI ports as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:40 AM

That is great help, thanks aurora, i was deffinately going to buy one with hdmi on anyway, but now i know it will do everything i am deffinetly going to purchase, now to find a good deal
Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 AM

It's worth mentioning that if you intend to use Windows Media Center then you're out of luck with blu-ray and (bizarrely given the MS involvement) HD DVD. There's just no support for them in Media Center whatsoever.

There is a hack to force Media Center to minimize itself and boot up Power DVD when you insert a BD or HD DVD, but then you'll have to use your mouse to start playback, and then again to quit Power DVD and maximize Media Center once you're done.

Real shame as Media Center is great in so many ways, just sadly not in this one.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
However, you'll need to be very careful with this stuff. Because of HDCP, if you don't hook the PC up to a compliant monitor, you might not get any video.
There is a very nice little application called AnyDVD which removes the ridiculous HDCP DRM, allowing any screen to display HD content. It also removes region coding from DVDs and blu-rays, and can even automatically skip those annoying FBI Warning screens.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
There is a very nice little application called AnyDVD which removes the ridiculous HDCP DRM, allowing any screen to display HD content. It also removes region coding from DVDs and blu-rays, and can even automatically skip those annoying FBI Warning screens.
= the reason why fox didn't release movies for a while... i don't understand how the bd discs seemed to have better encryption than hd dvd but the same code cracks both of them...i'm lost... why does sony charge 200 more for a player if they arre both cracked with the SAME CODE... this whole format war is a sham and it'll lead up to combo players... if ur going to get a pc drive, get a combo... lg is making them