Blu-ray's next move - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

Default Blu-ray's next move

I'm hearing reports that Sony and "one other" BD manufacturer will have $399 players this holiday season. But is that good enough?

CEDIA is next week, and I'm expecting/hoping Blu-ray will have some announcements there. I expect they have been planning this for months and decided a couple weeks wouldn't hurt to stick to plan. I don't think it will be a studio announcement (as far as exclusivity is concerned), and I could be wrong about the whole thing.

But what I hope will happen is Funai will show their BD players with a price point to match the Venturer players. Blu-ray needs to fill the market with players in all price categories, just like DVD has. A $199 player, a $299 player, $499 player, $899, etc. Get more manufacturers to create lines, instead of just supporting one SKU. Toshiba has three players, BD manufacturers need to have at least 2. Samsung is doing this, Denon is doing this, we need Sony and Pioneer to do this. Pioneer doesn't even have a consumer level BD player, sticking to the Elite line.

The BDA also needs to offer incentives to the studios to release more movies. Give them a bulk deal like buy 1 get 2 free on replication set-up. Get all the studios to release like Universal is, obviously putting time into quality though.

Basically, the BDA needs to take this thing seriously. HD DVD has their own PR Group dedicated to promoting the format, the BDA doesn't have this. They need to promote the hell out of Blu-ray this holiday as the new technology. Disney and Panasonic are the only ones really promoting BD right now.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

what they need to do is get bd-j to work or to make hdi working on bd players... and they need to sell their replication things cheaper... hd dvd is winning because of price of production, players, and the recent paramount thing helps and the amazon deal helps(the ad-h2 is sold out). some companies jsut don't like bd because sony controls too much of it.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
what they need to do is get bd-j to work
BD-J does work. Not quite sure what you're getting at.

Quote:
hd dvd is winning
HD DVD is not winning. Not quite sure where you got your information, but Blu-ray has been crushing HD DVD in sales all year.

Quote:
some companies jsut don't like bd
What company? Everyone supports Blu-ray except for Toshiba. Even NEC is making Blu-ray drives.

Quote:
sony controls too much of it.
Sony controls what? Licensing.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM

I have to agree with you that for the US market I'm sure The BD group has to match the $199 Hd dvdplayers and the BDA needs to promote the format as you are suggesting if for no other reason than to shut the mouths of the price bots and keep the race moving ahead. That being said, I keep wondering which consumers would be buying players for these prices? What tv's (480, 720, 1080) will they be hooking them up to? For these same people is this really a worthwhile investment over sd dvd? (I think it is. But it just seems a hard point to sell.)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM

What about a player where you don't have to update the firmware for it to work,consumers wants products that work.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM

You mean like all those HD DVD players that didn't have 24fps, True HD, proper HDMI support, as well as issues with pixelation, block noise, and audio dropouts, freezing up during the movie, and slow loading times. Which incidentally needed multiple firmware updates to fix?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayDvd View Post
What about a player where you don't have to update the firmware for it to work,consumers wants products that work.
Neither format was released with out its bugs, but I dont understand are you saying you would rather have all the bugs and no patches to fix them ?
Look back at DVD 1st/2nd gen players had alot of bugs ! My 1st Panny DVD gen 1 had to be sent back I dont know how many time because of a faulty laser, and then they didnt support DTS either.

A lot of people have home networks so whats the hassle with hooking up your player, my ps3 , 360, wii are all connected and they get updates all the time people are used to it now, if anything it helps to know they will be supported as features come out, apart from maybe the earlier players that dont have the memory or ethernet port
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 AM

BD's next big move should be to release a firmware update to extract dts-MA to PCM if possible.

I think because of all these firmware updates for both formats, both camps should have released players with wireless ethernet.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:50 AM

Why doesn't the studios who support Bluray just put their movies on Bluray format only and not on standard dvd,this would make people who think they don't need to switch to the HD format will have to then?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayDvd View Post
Why doesn't the studios who support Bluray just put their movies on Bluray format only and not on standard dvd,this would make people who think they don't need to switch to the HD format will have to then?
Because that would piss everyone off, and confuse the hell out of everyone. It would piss off the retailers because they would get hundreds of thousands of returns (and returns costs the stores a lot of money). It would piss off consumers because they couldn't watch the movies they want.