looking to go blu too - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Default looking to go blu too

Howdy all,

Was thinking of joining the blu side as well with a ps3. Just wondering what all this talk about future movies not being able to be played on 1st gen players? I would really like to join the club, but if the ps3 wont play future movies then I'll just skip out on this gen. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cody
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM

hey cody,

the short version is you've been listening to too much HD DVD FUD.

there is a reasonable chance (actually, a very good chance) that BD-J 1.1 features will not work on 1st gen BD players, such as pip commentary and other advanced interactive features; however, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the main feature itself (i.e. the movie) will not play on 1st gen players.

given all that, the ps3 will very likely (although no one from sony has come out and said so yet) be able to be updated to BD-J 1.1 compliance via a firmware update. the consensus seems to be that the ps3 has more than enough horsepower to handle BD-J 1.1, and considering the other functions that have been added in via firmware updates (DVD upscaling, media streaming, etc etc) there is no reason to believe otherwise (unless you're a hardcore sony/BDA hater).

short version -

if you care about interactive features, and don't mind a small amount of risk on the off chance that the ps3 doesn't do BD-J 1.1, the ps3 is your safest bet.

if you don't care about interactive features, then any of the 1st gen players will play the movie.

if interactive features are an absolute deal breaker, then hold off and see what the field looks like in november.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 PM

thanks man, the ps3 will by my player of choice if I go that way. I game often, so I'd prefer the ps3. Thanks for all the input man.

I saw that American Psycho was on BD and I just thought how awesome that would look in HD.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:13 PM

If the PS3 is upgradable to Profile 1.1 (it better be!) then there is no reason that it isn't upgradable to Profile 2.0

It has the local storage and the internet connectivity (including Wifi on the 60 and 80 gig models) requirements that are mandated for 2.0.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:17 AM

Cash, I haven't seen any proof to indicate that the Playstation will not be upgradeable for the future firmware requirements. You should be alright to make this purchase and while we are waiting for the updates, Playstation has some killer games coming out right away... *cough* UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 *cough*

Also, SuperVHS, Best Brannigan Quote I read all day...