Need some help on which BR player to get. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Need some help on which BR player to get.

Hey guys
Just joined here. I already got myself an hddvd player from toshiba. Didnt buy the add-on for my 360 elite cause i heard it made alot of noise. Now I am gonna be buying a blu-ray player in some form this next month. Better to be safe than sorry. Plus I want alot of the movies BR has. So that being said. I would like your opinions on which one to get.

Here are the base points to remember.

1. Dont wanna spend $700

2. Want one with an ethernet attachment. (cause my friend is having a pain in the butt with his Sony BR player he bought cause it doesnt have one.)

3. Was thinking about a Samsung or the PS3(cause you get the game system too). But in my past experience I have the best luck with Panasonic. Bought my first DVD player from them.

Thanks in advance for your help
ThatMovieGuy413
Old 08-18-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Get the PS3

I'd say get the PS3. I have it and love it. It's really fast and the picture and sound is really good.

It's probably the best BD player on the market right now.

Plus it should be upgradeable to profile 2.0. It has the processing power for secondary video/audio, tons of local storage and an ethernet/Wifi connection.

It's a dream to update with the Wifi, it's quiet and again it's really fast. Much, much faster than my A2 and most other BD/HD players out right now.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:06 PM

PS3 is the most sensible choice right now, given all it is capable of doing.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:30 PM

My vote is for the Samsung BD-P1200 which is $450.00 at Amazon as of my writing. I'm a bit biased as I have owned one since it first came out. Though it has had it's share of bugs, personally I have had no problems what so ever with mine.

The biggest factor for me was the Reon HQV processor in the Samsung. If you watch or own lots of sd dvd's, then this is the player for you. The Reon upconverts to 1080p and does a terrific job. It's pretty close to hd quality. Way better upconversion than any other player out there, with the exception of the Toshiba XA2. The only other player on the market at this time that has the Reon is the Toshiba AX2. Toshibas 3rd generation will have the Reon, but only in their top end unit, not the newer 1400 due in a month or two.

Also....fyi...the new Onkyo reciever, the TX-SR875 also has the Reon in it, and it's getting pretty good reviews. good luck in you decision.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:06 PM

Something you need to consider is how you're going to connect your player to your receiver (assuming you have a surround setup). If you're going to need to use analog outputs, then the PS3 won't work. Also, if you need to use analog outputs, and you have a 7.1 speaker system, then the Panasonic player is the only one with 7.1 analog outputs. Plus you get 5 free movies right in the box.