Panasonic DMP-BD10A: Technical Review of Player (NEW!!) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Panasonic DMP-BD10A: Technical Review of Player (NEW!!)

Came across this review for those more technically inclined. Understood most of it. Not quite all, but certainly an interesting read nonetheless. I'm assuming this is the newest model. It's a lot harder keeping up with Blu-Ray players for sure. Overall I personally don't feel this is a good deal, but that is neither here nor there. The review speaks for itself. I guess build quality should count for something. The biggest surprise was obviously that there were some minor scaling issues with Blu-Ray discs and MAJOR problems with sd-dvd. Not exactly what I would expect from Panasonic. Still, the reviewer seems to recommend this player nonetheless. Interesting. Would certainly think people should still go with PS3 over this player or wait for final spec players come Dec. Enjoy!!
www.hdtvmagazine.com/reviews/index.php was Top of the list

Last edited by Arkadin; 08-16-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 AM

The one part of the review that seems kinda strange is where he talks about the player doesn't fully support DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, or Dolby TrueHD. What he fails to realize is that the section of the manual he is referring to (pg. 22) discusses the audio output options for the Digital Audio Output, i.e., optical and coaxial.

That seems a little strange that he wouldn't know that digital cables can't carry more than a 2.0 PCM track, so it's not that the player doesn't support those formats, it's that when you use the "wrong cable," stereo is the best you're going to get.

He screws up some other facts too:

Quote:
It appears the analog connections will support DTS HD and Dolby True HD down converted to 24/96. Those with HDMI 1.2 support or less on their receivers are going to be missing out on those HD audio codecs via digital multi channel PCM.
Blu-ray (and HD-DVD, for that matter) doesn't support DTS-HD and TrueHD at anything higher than 24/96, so there's no possibility of downsampling. The bit about the PCM audio is just wrong any way you look at it.

Quote:
The A/D conversion is limited to 24/96 and any source above that will be down converted.
This is also incorrect. It has a 24/192 DAC in it. I don't think it would be allowed to bear the DVD-Audio logo if it couldn't process 24/192 sound.

That doesn't mean that the entire review is worthless, but it seems fairly compromised, given that the reviewer doesn't have a very good understanding of HD audio.

I personally haven't noticed nearly the problems he discusses with SD DVDs. It's not perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as he says it is. At least, he seems to make it sound unwatchable. I'm using a DVI display with some of the HDMI/DVI settings turned on, so that might make a difference. He could just be more anal than I am, or using a display that makes problems more apparent (he used a projector).

I just get the feeling he took the unit, hooked it up, and didn't bother to fuddle around with any of the settings, then was surprised that it didn't meet his standards.

Quote:
While the sound may not be the ultimate audiophile expression you will be floored none the less.
This seems to be based on his confusion over how the HD audio formats work. I think he's most concerned over the 2.0 PCM thing, but he's just confused about what that section of the manual is talking about. There are some things I'd like in this player in terms of audio (bass management, for instance), but it allows you to set delay times and channel levels for speakers, so it covers most of what is needed.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

I own this player and I think it works just as good as any other blu-ray player. I am very happy with it, and the sd dvd's look just as good as on my A2.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM

I agree that the reviewer needs to become more educated regarding the audio aspect of the HD formats. To his credit, he does say that he was primarily focused on a pq evaluation. I agree he didn't spend nearly enough time with the unit, but again the article infers a quick overview. At least he does have some tools for testing as opposed to some reviewers who don't even have this ability. I was hoping some people with this unit would respond. Thanks guys. Still would like to know why people specifically chose this player. Anybody care to weigh in?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Well, the reason I chose it is because of the 7.1 analog outputs. I don't have HDMI on my receiver. As far as I know, until the new Samsungs come out, this is the only unit for either format with 7.1 analog, and audio quality is as important (if not maybe even more so) as picture quality to me. And for the record, it sounds freaking sweet through them!