Buy now...or wait? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Buy now...or wait?

Ive had my HD DVD add on for awhile...and since I saw a couple of my favorite movies in the BD section, I decided that I must have a Blu Ray player as well. Right now, it looks like I'm just gonna pick up a PS3...however, with CES this weekend I have a question(s).

1) Lets say that the BD camp announces a price drop on their players. Is this price drop something they'll implement immediately ... or in a few months? Or is there any way to know?

2) If the only reason I'm looking to get a PS3, is because its the cheapest BD player...should I wait until after CES this weekend before purchasing? I mean..Im literally chomping at the bit to get Blu Ray...but, if itll lighten the load on my bank account...I can wait just a bit longer.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Put your favorite movie in your XB360 and watch it upconverted. It still looks good and should hold you over till the format war ends. I wouldn't rush to grab a Blu-ray player just yet, wait till they have the features locked down.

A few of my favorite movies are coming out on BD, and I have the XB Add-on as well. My all time favourite Usual Suspects is due out soon, but the DVD version will tide me over till things settle down. If you have cash to burn feel free, but if you're looking for it as an investment, then wait as long as you feel you can and wait on price-drops and sales.

Answer to 1) They'll usually announce a pricing plan and a time frame. Like "$500 by Christmas" and they'll usually drop price points around sale seasons. You'll see something along the lines of "Regular Price $1000, Price Drop $200, Sale Price $750, You Save $250" when really they've only been discounted by the retailer by $50 and the new regular price is $800. Repeat for each major sale till it's at the price they say.

Answer to 2) CES will say a lot about what will happen over the year, if you REALLY have to have something now then PS3 is the best and cheapest option. Otherwise there may be something interesting announced at CES which may take a week to a year (or never) before it hits retailers.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Without doubt wait at least a week. There wil be plenty of announcements next week and I'm sure you'll kick yourself if you jump the gun!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Assuming the quality doesn't suck just pick up the new LG deck that plays both HD DVD and BD. Problem solved and you'll end up getting better performance than what the 360 add-on can deliver.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

But there are some reports that the combi player will not support HDi - therefore you may want to keep your 360 add-on for the time being!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 AM

UPDATE :

I couldn't hold off any longer...I bought a PS3. Best decision Ive made as far as electronics go...right up there next to my 360 purchase. The 360 right now IMO has the advantage for non-gaming "stuff to do"...but the PS3 has a lot of potential, and its a helluva BluRay player.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkForce View Post
UPDATE :

I couldn't hold off any longer...I bought a PS3. Best decision Ive made as far as electronics go...right up there next to my 360 purchase. The 360 right now IMO has the advantage for non-gaming "stuff to do"...but the PS3 has a lot of potential, and its a helluva BluRay player.
I've been super tempted... but I am afraid it would turn out being a very expensive movie player. I only got into HD because of the $200 X360 add on. So - i dont see myself buying a PS3 for $500 just to play BD. I want a PS3 but then I remember that the games aren't worth the purchase.