PS3 Upconversion Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-15-2007, 04:00 AM

Question PS3 Upconversion Question

Hi, I'm new to the site.

I have a 1080i TV and am using a HDMI for my audio and video through my PS3 and I'm not sure if my DVD's are being upconverted properly.

When the upgrade was first released I questioned it, but wasn't sure. I have watched scenes over and over with all the different upconversion setting, but I'm not seeing much (if any) difference.

There have been no problems with the Blu-ray and most of my DVD look pretty good. I just watched "The Departed" (DVD) and I thought it looked awful. I'll be picking up the Blu-ray of it for sure.

So I guess my question is, How good should an upconverted DVD look?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:12 AM

If your ps3 is set to output at 1080i, then it is upconverting. What people don't seem to realize is that upconversion does NOT mean that what you are seeing is high definition. It cant, because dvds are only 480i/p resolution. Now upconverting is useful to help make the images LOOK better but sometimes, depending on the movie, it doesn't offer much more detail. In fact, upconversion isn't meant to add detail to the picture, but in fact smooth out the jaggy edges.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 AM

Alright, thanks!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 AM

Personally I haven't noticed an improvement when using the PS3 to upconvert DVD's. The colors are a bit more vibrant but it almost looks like a sharpen filter from Photoshop was thrown onto the picture producing some graniness and artifacting. I tried this with several DVD's and got the same result. The picture always looks smoother when played on my old progressive scan DVD player.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:03 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

I noticed a HUGE improvement. Before the update, my DVDs looked like hell. Once they did the update that allowed for upconversion to 1080p, they looked MUCH better. Of course, I have a 65" T.V., so the change is very noticeable. Not sure what size T.V. you have. Plus I have 1080p, so I don't know about 1080i stuff.

Big difference here.

If you want to see if there is a difference, hook up a non upconverting DVD player and see how it looks compared to the upconverted disc from your PS3. That's seems like the easiest side by side comparison.

Take it easy,
Old 08-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

To bad the upscaling on games absolutly blows compared to the dvd scaling. They use 2 different programs. I cant wait till all the psone/two games are handle by emulation so they wont look worth shit on a HDtv anymore.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Christmas View Post
If you want to see if there is a difference, hook up a non upconverting DVD player and see how it looks compared to the upconverted disc from your PS3. That's seems like the easiest side by side comparison.
Why didn't I think of that??? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
To bad the upscaling on games absolutly blows compared to the dvd scaling. They use 2 different programs. I cant wait till all the psone/two games are handle by emulation so they wont look worth shit on a HDtv anymore.
PS1 games are already software emulation based. They were from day-one.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
PS1 games are already software emulation based. They were from day-one.
So what, Xbox 360 uses software emulation and their original Xbox games look HD quality. I was playing GTA San Andreas on my PS2 and it looks like shit, my friend brought his copy over and it looks like it was an Xbox 360 game. Also, Xbox games have Dolby Digital 5.1, while PS2 games are limited to PLII.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
So what, Xbox 360 uses software emulation and their original Xbox games look HD quality. I was playing GTA San Andreas on my PS2 and it looks like shit, my friend brought his copy over and it looks like it was an Xbox 360 game. Also, Xbox games have Dolby Digital 5.1, while PS2 games are limited to PLII.
Um... ok... and what's your point?

Somebody needs to sit the fuck down and take a breather.