Sony X1 Extreme TVs get Dolby Vision upgrade - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Special Member

Red face Sony X1 Extreme TVs get Dolby Vision upgrade

Here's the download link to upgrade all X1Extreme processor 2017 Sony TVs. Good for X930E, X940E, Z9D and A1E TVs.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Robert.
If I were to have bought a tv in 2017, it probably would have been one of these.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Thanks Robert.
If I were to have bought a tv in 2017, it probably would have been one of these.
what about today?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
what about today?
I would wait for the 2018 models in a couple months of course!! Still leaning towards Sony, despite being a Samsung person.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 AM

Keep in mind this "update" has caused a great deal of complaints and issues since Sony decide to implement a DolbyVision profile that is not standard and so at the moment it only supports streaming from internal apps, not input via HDMI, there are more than a few fiery discussions out there on the issue.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Special Member

Good post, just wanted clarify some of your points.

Sony is using a standard protocol of Dolby Vision's HDR with the optional "Low Latency" mode to add stability and faster panel response for DV PC gamers. OPPO and Apple UHD TV need to implement Dolby's "low Latency" standard. Sony's upcoming X700 UHD/HDR BD player support this standard and OPPO and Apple TV will also add the upgrade.

Based on my above statement Sony's X1 Extreme equipped TVs support DV over HDMI, but it the source device must be up-to-date with the low latency upgrade.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Based on my above statement Sony's X1 Extreme equipped TVs support DV over HDMI, but it the source device must be up-to-date with the low latency upgrade.
This is where I and others have concerns, the new profile is not supported by devices already out in the wild, no current 4K disc player or media streamer supports the profile.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
This is where I and others have concerns, the new profile is not supported by devices already out in the wild, no current 4K disc player or media streamer supports the profile.
I would be concerned as well. You have DV equipped gear and it doesn't work because it has the wrong mode. Talk about adding another layer of confusion to it all. Presuming that existing media devices that have DV simply need another firmware update, I guess it's not all that bad.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:21 PM
Special Member

You can stream Dolby Vision HDR content directly to your Sony TV. Sony chose Dolby's 'low latency' mode to best support gamers. OPPO and Apple's UHD TV will add the low latency mode by April if not sooner.

I do agree and understand the frustration on all of the varying technical details that do nothing but hurt and confuse the market for everyone in the distribution chain.