Holiday Marketing for Blu-Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Holiday Marketing for Blu-Ray

Its a blazing 100 degrees in my part of the world but I'm already thinking about the Christmas shopping season in terms of Blu-Ray, mainly because I plan on getting a stand alone. I can't reasonably spend $500 + on one but $400 is my "I don't have to sleep on the couch" breaking point.

We all know the stakes for both sides coming up at the end of the year so I was wanting to see people's thoughts (or inside info) on what (if any) sales or price cuts would be happening nationally to move units. I'm sure HD DVD will be cutting prices so I'm sure Sony and others may do the same.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNKLoud View Post
Its a blazing 100 degrees in my part of the world but I'm already thinking about the Christmas shopping season in terms of Blu-Ray, mainly because I plan on getting a stand alone. I can't reasonably spend $500 + on one but $400 is my "I don't have to sleep on the couch" breaking point.

We all know the stakes for both sides coming up at the end of the year so I was wanting to see people's thoughts (or inside info) on what (if any) sales or price cuts would be happening nationally to move units. I'm sure HD DVD will be cutting prices so I'm sure Sony and others may do the same.
Samsung BDP 1200 at Amazon is $445.00

Last edited by johnnyd1; 08-14-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Wrong price !
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Right now you can get a good deal on ebay if your breaking point is 400...i got the ps3, 3 games, extra controller for 450 shipped. I imagine you can get a ps3 for sub 400 if you try. BTW..I got the 60 gig for that price. New unit and all. couldn't go wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Get the Samsung BD-P1200 as it has the HQV Reon processor. The only other player out on the market at this time that has the reon, is the Toshiba HD-XA2 and that is HD. The new 3rd generation of Samsung coming in a few months will only have the Reon in the high end model.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM

I found out through someone in the "know" (editor of a hated website by HD DVD supporters) that Sony will be offering (along with another manufacturer) their player at $399 by quarter 4. I don't know if other BD brands will be dropping as well or if "free disc" offers will follow suit but I got excited.
I know the Sammy 1200 is on Amazon for cheap but I've been collecting Best Buy gift cards for b-day's and such so I will have to buy it there since I have over $200 in cards.

I'd like to get the new Sammy 2400 but I'll wait to see if price drops a bit.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
I found out through someone in the "know" (editor of a hated website by HD DVD supporters) that Sony will be offering (along with another manufacturer) their player at $399 by quarter 4.
This makes sense, because Target will be stocking Blu-ray (and ONLY Blu-ray) players in the fourth quarter this year. I can't see them filling the shelves with $500+ players.

I thought of buying a Blu-ray, because one of the movies I want, Memoirs of a Geisha, and others are only on there (out soon).

Given the Target news and other movements, I'm waiting a few months to see what happens. The 5 free disc offer is crap anyway, so no loss there.

The battle is really heating up and that means lower prices in faster cycles. This holiday season should be a bonanza.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 AM

What setup do you have currently? Which Tv, amp, speakers... What uses are you hoping for your Bd player? Look at these things because that will help clarify which product is right for you as well as price.