Mac Players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Mac Players

Does anyone know if there are plans to enable Macs (iMac, MacBooks, etc.) to play Blu-Rays. I'm just wondering because I'd really like to play BDs on my MacBook. Any info would be great help!!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Apple doesn't announce hardware changes before hand too often. I expect it in Q1 of 08.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Plans have not been announced, but given that Apple is officially backing the format, well...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM

Default HD/BD Support Coming Soon (supposedly)

Actually Apple supports both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Supposedly support for HD/BD is coming in Leopard (the next version of OS X) this October. The Developer release of Leopard (seeded back in June) had signs of HD/BD support in the DVD player app. Many believe that come October the Mac Pro, iMac, and Macbook Pro will have BTO options for Blu-ray/HD-DVD drives/writers.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
Plans have not been announced, but given that Apple is officially backing the format, well...
I'm pretty sure Apple backs BOTH formats. According to a press release a couple of years ago:

Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standardsóBlu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

So.. who knows what will happen
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Actually Apple supports both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Supposedly support for HD/BD is coming in Leopard (the next version of OS X) this October. The Developer release of Leopard (seeded back in June) had signs of HD/BD support in the DVD player app. Many believe that come October the Mac Pro, iMac, and Macbook Pro will have BTO options for Blu-ray/HD-DVD drives/writers.
Thanks for all the help guys. The reason I asked the question was because in DVD Player in my MacBook had a section in preferences for High Definition Hybrid Discs. One can only hope its coming soon. Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

These "high definition hybrid discs" may be the WMVHD discs. It's a standard DVD with Windows Media Video High Definition video on it.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 PM

The section in DVD Player that has the HD tab is actually for discs that were created in DVD Studio Pro. With that program you can author high definition video on to standard DVD9's. The disc will play back High Def in any HD DVD player or Macintosh (oops, sorry. I just dated myself there. I meant, "Mac") with the minimum specs (ie. PowerPC G5 or higher).

And yeah I hope for HD/BD support soon too... hopefully it will be sooner than we think.

Cheers
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 AM

Yea I am really excited about Leopard, I hope it blows Microsoft "Shitsta" i mean Vista out of the water. And I agree, we wont see official next gen support until after Leopard is in the "wild".

APPLE RULES!!!