How is the PS3 Blu-Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Default How is the PS3 Blu-Ray?

I am contemplating getting this or some other sort of HD player, whether it be HD-DVD or Blu Ray ..... So I was wondering how this is compared to other HD-DVD players visually and with the audio also...
Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM

The ps3 blu=ray player is top notch can decode true hd sent as pcm picture is excellent and it is worth every penny dispite what people say about it being overpriced i just don't agree but still i plan to buy a stand alone hopefully the new denon when it comes out have a good day.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 PM

I think that its comparable to the standalone if not better. PQ and AQ is great. I think that its well worth it. I like to play games and watch movies so i got the PS3. With saying that I use my PS3 mainly for watching Blu Ray movies. Never had a single problem with it.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Picture and audio stacks up against any standalone player. One could argue it is better than most current standalones in a number of ways. Do a forum search or visit the PS3 website for detailed info on it's capabilities.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 AM

ps3 is a great movie player.

if you're planning on using it primarily as a movie player and are a serious audiophile, however, keep in mind that it has no analog surround out - the only audio outs besides HDMI audio out are optical audio out and composite audio out (with their attendant limitations).
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 AM

Can you operate it with a remote, and which one?
Does the hdmi output carry the sound stream?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 AM

there is a movie remote for the ps3, but because the ps3 uses bluetooth instead of RF or IR, you can't use most/any of the universal remotes out there.

the hdmi output does indeed carry audio information out. it's the only real way of getting HD audio from the ps3, but you'll have to rely on someone else to give you the details of that information.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
there is a movie remote for the ps3, but because the ps3 uses bluetooth instead of RF or IR, you can't use most/any of the universal remotes out there.
You can use universal remotes if you get the IR USB device they released a couple months ago... It's $25 I believe and will allow IR operation with any universal remote... Perfect for those who have the Harmony 880/890...

As for the OP's question, it is a great Blu-ray player... And also does an outstanding job at upscaling DVD's... Between the PS3, Xbox 360, and Samsung upscaler I have, the PS3 wins hands down...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barend View Post
Does the hdmi output carry the sound stream?
providing your receiver can accept audio across HDMI then yes, that would be the ideal delivery method for the sound

it can handle up to 24/96 7.1 PCM and up to 24/192 5.1 PCM
it converts all truehd tracks to pcm
we hope for a dts-ma firmware upgrade to allow decoding of dts-ma using the cell sometime in the next few months also