LG OLED TVs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Default LG OLED TVs

Anyone here have an LG OLED TV? Interested to hear impressions...
Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 PM

2015 model LG 55EF9500
Best damn set I've ever owned, and I had Kuro's and a Panasonic VT60
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 PM

I hope the 2016 model is as good.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 PM

Also, do you have a curved or flat screen? What are pros and cons?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 AM

2015 Flat, the 2016's are only better in every way.
The 3D is spectacular, as far as picture quality the common complaint is slight banding on the panel with a 5% or 10% gray slide, mine is so minor I consider it a non-issue.

Until I did some adjustments the PQ was awful and there was a lot of judder, but the standard settings out there are on the money.

The con? gaming, the lag in the inputs as far as I can tell is a bit more on the 2015's but resolved on the 2016's but since I'm a lousy gamer it doesn't matter a lot, I'm still bad with or without lag.

IMNSHO there are zero pros to the curved screen and that's why I wanted until the flat 4K HDR 2015's came out.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the input! I'm pretty well sold now on the flat screen. AM hoping the price might drop a little on the 2016s when the 2017s come out in March.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Thanks for the input! I'm pretty well sold now on the flat screen. AM hoping the price might drop a little on the 2016s when the 2017s come out in March.
That's what Im holding off for and I am also eyeing the LG OLEDS, great minds think alike, David LOL

Don't get curved. It's a fad, and I just read manufacturers are probably going to stop making curved displays.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 AM

I'm holding out for a Kuro curved plasma.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 PM

A little late to the party, but I am an owner of the 65C6P OLED.

If you are looking at the different models, here is the breakdown for 2016 models:

B6P - Flat, no 3D, Realtek SoC (System on Chip) processor. 28ms lag in HDR gaming mode with the newest firmware update that came out this week.
C6P - Curved, 3D included, same SoC as both the E and G series. 32-36ms lag for gaming. Same aesthetics/style as the B series (but curved, obviously)
E6P - Flat, 3D included, SoC same as the C and G series. Picture on Glass, with a Soundbar
G6P - Flat, 3D included, SoC same as the C and E series. Picture on Glass, with a Soundbar. All electronic components are built into the soundbar, so the panel itself is very thin.

Same panel is used for all four series, B, C, E, and G. So essentially the same image potential.

If you are wanting one a "budget" OLED, but are really wanting 3D, then the C6P is a no brainer. If you don't care for 3D, then go with the B6P.

Here's my personal opinion and experience:

I am not a fan of the soundbar on the E and G series. I like the picture on glass, but the soundbar really takes away from the overall look of the TVs.

I really wanted 3D, but didn't want to spring for the E or G series, so the C series was about my only option.

I normally really dislike curved screens for home usage, but the C series curve is subtle enough that it is not bothersome whatsoever.

3D is a sight to behold on OLEDs.
1st - Passive 3D technology. I really disliked the Active Shutter glasses and tech for home 3D use.
2nd - Due to the native contrast of the OLEDs and the absolutely amazing black levels, 3D just looks that much better on these sets.

Hands down, the best way to experience 3D. If only 3D was like this from the inception of 3D at home, I think it would have done a lot better.

Overall, coming from the 9th gen. Pioneer Elite Kuro and witnessing/experiencing so many other TVs, I have to agree that this is the best overall experience in a television that I've ever had.

4K HDR content looks stunning on it. Gaming in both SDR and HDR is really a sight to behold.

Standard Blu-rays also look amazing on this television.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 AM

I've got the 2016 65E6 OLED and love it too - it's by far the best TV I've ever owned!

As you guys have seen 3D was completely dropped from the 2017 models which is a massive shame seeing as it was so good - there's a petition running at the moment to see if there's any chance it can be brought back in the future - I can't link to it though at the moment.

Overall I love the TV and the built in Plex client is great, along with the Video and Photo DLNA client I can then use to test any other media files I have lying around