PCM Question (Just double checking) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Default PCM Question (Just double checking)

I'm sitting out this war right now and hope to jump in the Blu-Ray game by November. I'm watching everybody battle the "this unit does DTS-MA, or this one does DD Plus but not DD-THD." But my understanding on the BD stand alone players is that they do PCM if the disk is encoded that way, correct? I will be running the analog 5.1 outs into my 3-year old receiver and don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon just for HDMI audio options.
So if I buy a Sony BDP-300, I'm good with lossless sound providing the disc has a PCM soundtrack, correct?

Just double-checking because some statements around here can occasionally be confusing.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNKLoud View Post
my understanding on the BD stand alone players is that they do PCM if the disk is encoded that way, correct?
Correct to the best of my knowledge.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Like the decoding of standard Dolby Digital, PCM is a mandatory codec that DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD players must support.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

Aurora is correct, except PCM is not a codec (coder/decoder), it is uncompressed.

The BDP-S300 should also handle the TrueHD codec in a future firmware upgrade. The players with decoders on them will decode the audio and send it out over the analog outputs for your receiver.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNKLoud View Post
I'm sitting out this war right now and hope to jump in the Blu-Ray game by November. I'm watching everybody battle the "this unit does DTS-MA, or this one does DD Plus but not DD-THD." But my understanding on the BD stand alone players is that they do PCM if the disk is encoded that way, correct? I will be running the analog 5.1 outs into my 3-year old receiver and don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon just for HDMI audio options.
So if I buy a Sony BDP-300, I'm good with lossless sound providing the disc has a PCM soundtrack, correct?

Just double-checking because some statements around here can occasionally be confusing.

Thanks!
You are correct. I have the Samsung BD-P1200 and have it hooked up by BOTH the 5.1 analog and the digital coax. If a movie has uncompressed PCM, that it definatly my first choice for sound. It's much richer and fuller than regular DD or DTS as it's uncompressed.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:20 AM

Well you are correct in a sense but as they said PCM is not a codec whatsoever, a codec requires some sort of algorithm to compress the source. PCM is just the raw source. But you must understand, PCM 5.1 6.1 or 7.1 will never get to your receiver through optical or digital coax. It will in 2.0 stereo but not surround sound. Without HDMI the only way the surround PCM will reach your receiver is if the player has 5.1 or 7.1 analog audio out and you utilize that. Otherwise, HDMI is the only other connection that supports multichannel uncompressed.