Why I should I support blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Why I should I support blu-ray?

Give 10 reasons why I should support blu-ray.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 AM

1) Blu-Ray features exclusive releases from Sony, Disney, and Fox. This means you cannot get Spiderman, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Star Wars, among many other blockbuster titles on HD-DVD. Speaking of Blockbuster, they will only be carrying Blu-Ray discs in store, making them more widely available for rental.

2) Blu-Ray offers better choices of high resolution audio tracks. While select HD-DVDs come with Dolby TrueHD tracks, all Sony BD discs and virtually all Disney titles feature uncompressed PCM audio, the finest soundtrack choice available (barring loseless codecs). In addition, all Fox titles come with DTS-HD MA.

3) The standard Dolby Digital track on a Blu-Ray disc is better than that on an HD disc. Blu-Ray allows for DD at 640 kbps, while HD-DVD maxes out at 504 kbps. However, most HD-DVDs feature Dolby Digital Plus, which is often encoded at the same 640 kbps as Blu-Ray's standard DD track.

4) As an optical storage format, Blu-Ray supports 50 GB, making it superior for data storage. That gives it a major leg up on HD-DVD as a computer/mass storage product.

5) Blu-Ray players allow for 53.95 Mbit/s of raw data output, with 48 Mb/s allowed for audio and video, and 40 Mb/s for video alone. HD-DVD allows for 36.55 Mbit/s, 30.24 Mbit/s, and 29.4 Mbit/s, respectively. This allows for a higher maximum picture quality on Blu-Ray discs, as video can be encoded at a much higher data rate.

6) Building on the former specification, Blu-Ray allows for a 40 Mb/s video encode with an 8 Mb/s audio encode (currently, the highest available audio for movies is encoded at 6.9 Mb/s (48 kHz/24 bit), but Chris Botti's concert is 96 kHz/24 bit @ 13.8 Mb/s). To use the maximum video quality on HD-DVD, you would only be able to encode the audio at 840 Mbit/sec, which is only slightly higher than a DVD-level DTS track. Thus, you must "compromise" the video in order to get proper audio from HD-DVD if you operate at maximum bitrates.

7) With the exception of Dolby Digital Plus, Blu-Ray allows for higher maximum bitrates for standard audio tracks.
Dolby Digital: 640 kbps (BD) vs. 504 kbps (HD)
DTS-HD High Resolution: 6 Mb/s (BD) vs. 3 MB/s (HD)
DTS-HD Master Audio: 24 Mb/s (BD) vs. 18 Mb/s (HD)
The two formats are equivalent for regular DTS audio, with both allowing 1.5 Mb/s. HD allows Dolby Digital Plus at 3 Mb/s, while Blu-Ray only allows it at 1.7 Mb/s. However, Dolby Digital Plus has been mostly a non-appearance on Blu-Ray, with Sony and Disney preferring PCM, Fox with DTS-HD MA, and other studios for a mix of standard Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby TrueHD.

8) Blu-Ray can hold 8.5 hours of VC-1 video encoded at 13 Mb/s, while HD-DVD can only hold 5.1 hours. Thus, a standard TV series of 22 45-minute episodes would span about 2 Blu-Ray discs, while it would take 4 HD-DVDs.

9) Blu-Ray discs are hardcoated, meaning they are more resilient to scratches than HD-DVDs, which are equivalent to SD DVDs.

10) Many Blu-Ray titles are slightly cheaper than their HD-DVD counterparts.

11) Sony isn't some evil corporation, at least no more than anyone else. Every corporation is out to maximize profits and achieve domination of the industry. However, some are in better position to realize their dreams, and they're all pretty interchangeable when it come to that.

Last edited by Aurora; 08-06-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM

12. Cause the name is cool

13. Cause eventually all gamers will want a PS3 anyway

14. Cause Stone Cold said so!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:36 PM

15. Why not?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNicholson View Post
Give 10 reasons why I should support blu-ray.
Give 10 reasons why I shouldn't !
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 PM

Because there movies you wont see on HD-DVD that are on Blu-Ray, and Vice Versa. And also HD-DVD is pretty much dead.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:05 AM

What I would love to know is which Blu-ray player I can buy (model & price) that will allow me to take advantage of all the extras on a BD disc. I like extras a lot and in the end I want it to be my decision whether I wish to watch and use the extra content or skip it, not the specs of the player. So what model should I be looking for ?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Honestly, the PS3 is a pretty safe bet. It has crazy processing power that
standalones don't, and firmware that gets updated about once a month,
painlessly. Those two things make it pretty future-proof, and any extras
that use BD+J will defintely work on it. It also serves well as a DVD upscaler
and music player. $500 for the 60 gig version, the remote is very nice but
costs $25 extra.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

1) Disney, Pixar, Buena Vista, Touchstone
2) Fox, MGM, United Artists
3) Sony, Columbia, Tristar
4) Lionsgate
5) Warner Bros., New Line
6) Paramount
7) Starz, Anchor Bay
8) Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Hitachi, LG, Philips, Dell, Sun Microsystems, Lite-On, Funai, Apple, etc
9) Blockbuster, Netflix
10) Playstation 3
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM

Blu-ray rymes with OK.