Check this out! 7.5GB Mini Blu-ray Discs... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 AM

Thumbs up Check this out! 7.5GB Mini Blu-ray Discs...

Quote:
Verbatim will be the first to manufacture the discs in their miniature three-inch form factor, which will hold 7.5GB.

A Blu-rayís discís full 50GB capacity may be rarely used for movie releases, but the density of data that can be packed onto the discs means that smaller incarnations can still store useful amounts of data. Verbatim launched the very first Mini Blu-ray Recordable/Rewritable discs on Thursday, which measure only three inches across but can carry 7.5GB of data.

That translates to about an hourís worth of 1920x1081i high-def video, or two hours if the lower resolution 1440x1080i standard is used. When used in HD camcorders, that makes the discs comparable in video storage length to the VHS tapes of yesterday.

Although there currently arenít any HD camcorders using Mini BD stateside, Hitachi has already released such a camcorder in Japan, where Verbatimís discs will be launched first in August. Hitachi is bringing those camcorders to the U.S. in October; Verbatim plans to bring the Mini BD discs to North America at the same time.

The discs will feature the same proprietary hard coat as Verbatimís larger discs, as well as a manufacturing process which the company claims guards against deterioration. Verbatim did not announced what the discs will cost when they reach the market.
http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/s...ve_up_hd_to_go

They are only three-inch anyone how long are the UMDs in the PSP ???
Sound awesome eh maybe for the next PSP and Sony should pack a Cell in there too hopefully they will make them compatible with UMDs.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM

I would guess this would be needed by anyone who buys the Hitachi Camcorder or any other such camcorder in the future. They should also work with Blu-ray burners and players. As for PSP, that would be kind of cool if they could make it work, but only if they could make it read both UMD and the mini-Blu-ray disc

Quote:
And now a Blu-ray Fact.
~Blu-ray Disc is supported by the Blu-ray Association and it has a broader industry support than any disc ever launched
What about DVD ?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 PM

I wonder what battery life on portable BD devices would be, though. I can't imagine it'd be very good because even DVD drains the battery like crazy.