lost with all this sound opp - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Default lost with all this sound opp

Firts let me tell you what i have and then you tell me how to hook it up for the best sound! I have the Onyko 605 and a Panasonic DMP-B10a, along with a Toshiba XA2 HD player. the Toshiba has 5.1 analog output and the Panasonic has 7.1 analog output. The Onyko only has 7.1 analong inputs so one of the players has to be put tru with the HDMI or and the Optical input. By the way i cant get the Onyko to pass the video tru the HDMI from the Panasonic DMP-B10a.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The Onyko only has 7.1 analong inputs so one of the players has to be put tru with the HDMI or and the Optical input.
I assume you mean only one set of analog inputs, which is the standard. As far as I know, only REALLY expensive receivers like the Denon AVR-5805 (at $7500) have two or more sets of external analog inputs.

Ignoring format decoding issues, as far as sound quality (signal loss, etc.), it really shouldn't matter which one you connect with HDMI and which with the analog inputs. I have that Panasonic hooked to a Denon receiver (check the signature) with both analog and digital coax (I had more important things to use the opticals on, more below), and have compared both's Dolby Digital and standard DTS processing. I couldn't tell the difference. The receiver does Dolby Digital EX better, as it seems to process the matrix channels better for my 5 speaker setup, while the Panasonic sounds like it ignores parts of the matrixed sound. In addition, the Panasonic doesn't do any processing, so if you watch an old SD-DVD with a crappy 2 channel track on it, you're stuck with only the front speakers. By running a coax or optical as well, you can use the Dolby PLIIx, DTS Neo 6, and any other surround options your receiver has to make stereo sources better.

That said, The Toshiba doesn't do DTS-HD decoding, while your receiver and the Panasonic both do. However, the Panasonic doesn't do DTS-HD MA decoding, but the receiver does, and currently, all Fox titles ship with DTS-HD MA on them. Unfortunately, you need HDMI 1.3 to transfer bitstream of DTS MA, and the Panasonic doesn't have that. Thus, there is no way to get DTS-HD MA out of Blu-Ray, since the player doesn't decode it, and it can't ship the undecoded bitstream signal to the receiver.

You'll have to wait and hope (like the rest of us) that Panasonic releases a firmware update that allows the DMP-BD10A to decode Master Audio.

EDIT: There's two ways to do this. If you're set on using analog cables for one of the players, then do method #1. However, there's not a great reason to use the analog cables in this case, as you need an HDMI cable for the video anyway. Thus, you'd be spending money on analog cables you really don't need.

The exception would be if you didn't want to buy a 3rd HDMI cable, and just wanted to use component for one of the players. While you can't output DVD at greater than 480p over component, since both players upconvert DVD, you could just use whichever player you connected with HDMI to play DVDs.

METHOD #1: one with Analog, one with HDMI

What you need:
-7.1-channel analog cables (8 RCA cables, basically)
-Digital coax or Optical cable (optional)
-HDMI 1.3 cable
-another HDMI (can be 1.2 or lower)

1) Connect the 7.1 channel analog inputs from the Panasonic to the external inputs on your receiver. Connect the HDMI cable from the Panasonic to one of the HDMI inputs on your receiver. Also connect a digital coax or optical cable from the Panasonic to the receiver.

Note: connect all 7 channels even if you are only using 5 or 6 speakers in your setup. Sometimes, receivers will mix the extra 6th channel into your existing 5, so you don't miss anything.

2) Enter the Panasonic Setup menu, and disable the HDMI audio ouput. I think it's in the "HDMI" section of the setup menu.

3) Connect the Toshiba to the receiver with the HDMI 1.3 cable. Enter the Toshiba's setup menu and set all the audio formats output to BITSTREAM.

4) Setup your receiver appropriately. I don't know how the Onkyo works, so you'll have to figure it out yourself.

You can use HDMI to carry the bitstream DD and DTS tracks from the Panasonic, but that requires changing the setting in the setup menu when you want the receiver to receive the signal directly. That's far more work than changing the input on the receiver from "External in" to "Digital in." You can get away with a $15 or so digital audio cable, since you'll mostly be using it for inferior soundtracks.

Method #2: Dual HDMI

What you'll need:
-HDMI 1.3 cable
-another HDMI (can be 1.2 or lower)

1) Connect the HDMI 1.3 cable from the Toshiba to the receiver. Set the outputs for DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and crew to "bitstream." This will have the receiver decode the audio.

2) Connect the HDMI 1.2 cable from the Panasonic to the receiver. Set the following audio formats to "PCM": Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD. Set the following to bitstream: Dolby Digital, DTS.

That pretty much does it. No extra cables, no cable input switching required.

With either setup, you'll get all the HD audio formats out of both players, except for DTS-HD MA from the Panasonic. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that at the moment.

Quote:
By the way i cant get the Onyko to pass the video tru the HDMI from the Panasonic DMP-B10a.
I can't help you with this much. Try checking the receiver settings.

Last edited by Aurora; 08-06-2007 at 10:24 PM.