BD-P1200 -- No rear or LFE sound? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 PM

Default BD-P1200 -- No rear or LFE sound?

Hello,

I just received my BD-P1200 and am trying to set it up.

It is connected to a Yamaha RX-V530 5.1 receiver via an optical digital cable.

When I run the BD-P1200's sound test I get no sound from the rear or LFE speakers. (The Yamaha's built-in speaker test does produce sound from all 5.1 speakers.)

When the BD-P1200's audio test shows that it is sending to the rear speakers I instead hear sound from the front speakers. When it shows that it is sending to the LFE there is no sound whatsoever.

I have latest firmware upgrade as claimed by the BD-P1200 itself when I connect via the ethernet cable to do a firmware upgrade.

I tried both PCM and bitstream output.

Since I am setting this up in a new house and all my DVDs are still in storage I have been unable to test this via a DVD I am familiar with to see if there is any rear channel output with an actual DVD in the drive (much less a Blu-Ray disc which I don't have access to right now).

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 PM

It may need a disc with 5.1 or better to actually output multi-channel. Gotta dig out those FOX titles with THX set-up tests. Also make sure, you might have to turn on the LFE manually with your reciever?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM

I too have the 1200, but have not used the 1200's test signals, just my recievers test tones. I've heard that what you have experienced is a problem with the 1200, but everything still should play and sound OK. Have you tried playing a movie to comfirm that you are getting sound from all your speakers, including your sub ?

Just use the test signals from your reciever only, and not the 1200.

Note : I just re-read your posting and noticed that you have not tried a movie yet since thay are still packed away. If possible, borrow or rent a movie...sd or Blu ray...won't matter which as you're just testing the speakers out. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM

OK -- I got a copy of "300" from Amazon today. All speakers definitely work. Must be the P1200's test function is bogus.

I noticed that with the disk in the drive (and stopped) the test failed to deliver any sound to any speaker!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Yes...as I mentioned in my above post, the 1200 internal test tones do not work correctly. Glad everything works correctly.