Bringing back a player from the US to Europe - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 PM

Question Bringing back a player from the US to Europe

Hello everyone!

My first post here will be a silly question I'm sure I know the answer to, but just want to be certain about.

I live in France and am going to Florida for Halloween (roughly the last two weeks of October).
Since I'm sick of being limited in my purchases by Blu-Ray régions and region-free players are expensive here, I'm planning to buy a player (say, Sony's Sony BDPS6200-- I have not compared all the models available yet) in the USA and bring it back so that I can then buy and watch anything I want-- Phantom of the Paradise & Pumpkinhead would be two of my first purchases.

Apart from the obvious power difference (a power converter will do the trick), I can't think of a reasons this cannot work.
Am I overlooking anything?

I warned you it was a silly question.
However, I really want to be 100% certain before making such a purchase (player & DVDs).

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

MOST players nowadays do not care what voltage or input frequency they receive, so, no power converter is needed. Check the specs of the power supply, you're looking for:
Input Voltage rages of 90-240, 50/60hz. Realistically as long as it says 110/220, 50/60hz it will be fine.
If at all possible, look for one with a detachable cord, but not very likely, so go to next option. If it is too much bother, just buy a short extension cord while still in Florida (check Walmart or Home Depot or Lowe's, they sell 3 foot (1 meter) cords.) The plan is that when you get home to snip off the end that plugs into your outlet, and buy one of those replacement ends you would because you have a damaged cord and assemble your new cord, very easy to do. By doing this, you do not alter the original cord on the player itself.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 AM

A Blu-ray player purchased in the United States will only be able to play Region A (or region-free) discs. You'll need to keep a separate player for any European Region B discs you own or will purchase.

As Krawk says, most electronics today are capable of accepting either 110 or 220 voltage. Some will convert internally automatically, but others may have a switch. Check the manual to verify. If the power cord is not detachable, all you'll need is a simple adapter plug that can be purchased at a travel shop.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM

Red face

Thanks for your replies, Krawk & Josh Z!

I wondered indeed whether current players might not be able to accept 110-220V voltage but did not worry too much because it's easy to solve if that's not the case.

Josh Z, that's the plan: I already have a Sony Blu-Ray player, so, rather than have it made region-free (the cost is prohibitive) or buy an additional region-free one (very costly), I figured it would be easier to just buy a region A player to complement it.
Fortunately, I have room enough to have both side by side.

No more video output issues either, since the A/V receiver (mine is a Denon) and television sets are compatible with both European and American systems-- which makes it possible for me to enjoy a few region-free American releases (like The Lego Movie).

I really just wanted to make sure I was not overlooking a silly detail that would prevent me from using the player back in France-- firmware updates, for instance, should still be possible from abroad, though I might ask Sony about it.

I've already checked with the French customs: the maximum tax-free value I can bring back is €430, that is about $543, so I'm well within the limits with a player, books, CDs and DVDs.
Of course, I'll take the player in a carry-on bag-- I've checked the TSA's site: it's allowed.
The US customs ask that you be able to turn on the device,

Buying an extension cord in the US is a great idea, Krawk.

Last edited by Olivier7; 09-30-2014 at 05:37 PM.