Anyone in Europe imported a Blu-ray player? Help needed - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Anyone in Europe imported a Blu-ray player? Help needed

I have a European HD DVD player that only plays Region 2 DVDs, with the Anchor Bay decision to make Blu-rays only, Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the dead... Day of the dead UGH!! I feel it's time to get a Blu-ray player as well. Since Blu-ray has the disadvantage of using region coding, I want buy me a player from USA (or Japan). I would be happy to buy a cheap second hand one, as my priority is software really, how much should I pay, and where shall I buy one? How much would postage to Europe be from USA? ...From Japan? Anyone reading this got a used player for sale?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM

I live in Sweden, and I imported my player from www.bhphotovideo.com, Shipping was: $65.75

Samsung BD-P1200 is the most capable player at $500 price range.

Japanese stores are expensive so don't bother with them.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabiose View Post
I live in Sweden, and I imported my player from www.bhphotovideo.com, Shipping was: $65.75

Thanks for the answer, did you also get the 5 free DVDs? - Can you use the mail in offer for further 5 more?

I have a pal going to Japan in a few weeks, are the players cheap in Tokyo?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 AM

Hi Belly

I imported a PS3 from Movietyme.com , the great thing is they put the value down as a $80 DVD player for the import costs, you still get hit with 50 import Duty and handling charges (Imagine how much this would be if they put $500!!) , but they do ship for free although the prices arent as good as if you were to order online direct from the states, thats the pay off.

The other great thing about the PS3 is that its multi voltage so you can just plug in a UK kettle lead and wont require a step down transformer, also the PS3 is almost guarenteed to support BD 1.1 update as it has enough memory, if you want a standalone unit wait until after october as all new Blu Ray players will have to support this standard then, if you import then you can get a stepdown transformer from keene electronics here in the UK for about 20

Hope this helps!

I'm waiting until next summer to buy a stand alone player as they should have gen 3/4 Blu Ray Units and the prices will have dropped further, the PS3 is a great option for now I bought the remote for it which is about 15 and makes it seem like a normal Player rather then having to use a controller

Old 08-03-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Hi Raboise do BH put the cost of the unit on the outside of the packing? As here in the UK we have to pay Tax And Duty,whats it like in Sweden??
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 AM

Buy a US 60gb PS3 before they're all sold and the price goes back up.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellybongo View Post
Thanks for the answer, did you also get the 5 free DVDs? - Can you use the mail in offer for further 5 more?

I have a pal going to Japan in a few weeks, are the players cheap in Tokyo?
No I did not get them (as I bought the player before the deal). And the offer is unfortunately for US and Canada only as far as I know.

Well buying them in Tokyo is definitely going to be cheaper than buying them online from an Japanese store. Actually the problem is that very few Japanese stores even ship to Europe. But still I doubt it would be any cheaper than importing from US. Also be aware also that some player might have locked firmware and language, so you could possibly be stuck with Japanese menues.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalodger View Post
Hi Raboise do BH put the cost of the unit on the outside of the packing? As here in the UK we have to pay Tax And Duty,whats it like in Sweden??
Yes they put the price on the package, keep in mind if you let them ship with FedEX or UPS you are pretty much guaranteed to have to pay tax and duty.

The only way to avoid that would be to ship with standard airmail service like USPS. Then atleast in Sweden, I would say that a package of that size has about 70% chance of slipping through.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes they put the price on the package, keep in mind if you let them ship with FedEX or UPS you are pretty much guaranteed to have to pay tax and duty.

The only way to avoid that would be to ship with standard airmail service like USPS. Then atleast in Sweden, I would say that a package of that size has about 70% chance of slipping through.
Yeah your right about Fed Ex /UPS they just add it on everytime as a matter of course, yeah post is a bit hit and miss have imported loads of films over the 18 limit and have got them through then you always get caught at some point, last one cost me 8 on top, 4 Duty 4 handerling by Royal Mail, Stitch!!

I'm going to wait until next summer as I'm going to the states have seen a tasty 720P Sony Projector for $800 at BH and we are only 8 blocks from them in New York when we go !!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Default looking where to buy USA LG/SAMSUNG

Is there anyone out there that can help me. I am looking to buy a LG or a Samsung multi Drive player i have looking every where but they will not ship international. IF there is someone that can help me on finding any company that can ship to the UK i would be very grateful.