Region Free / B Blu-ray (Canada) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Region Free / B Blu-ray (Canada)

Well, I'm considering getting a region free BD player. Either that, or getting a region B player. I want a player that also supports multi-region (or at least UK/EU) DVDs (though that's common enough with firmware mods, at least with some players apparently).

I'm guessing that these (Region Free players) can't be bought cheaply unless you're lucky enough to get an older player and mod that. So I'm guessing my best bet is to get a region B player instead? I could probably order off of amazon.UK or something (assuming they ship electronics overseas without it costing too much in shipping).

3D playback (for the future) would be nice too.

A suggestion for a good power adapter in the case I get a R2 player, would be nice.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

So far no advice from our fine forum members?

Here's my two cents-
Look at the power supply specs on the unit you are looking at buying. Pretty much every blu ray player out there has a switching power supply.
Most switching power supplies do not care what you feed them. To make sure, you're looking for a spec that looks something like this: Input: 110-220 Volts, 50-60Hz
This means the worst you're going to have to do is either snip the end of the cord and attach one that fits your wall outlet, the end costs about $3 at a Walmart. Or buy one of those travel adapters. Most travel adapters though will have a 120V female receptacle with all the oddball male ends, so look around. Buying a matching extension cord while buying the player, and snipping the end off the extension cord would keep the player unaltered. Alternately, if you're lucky, and you see this more on European players, the cord from the player is detachable. So, detach it and plug in the right one for your area. Probably won't be the big 3-prong PC type socket, more like one that would go into a boombox.

Having not done this myself, I do not know if you will have a 50/60hz display issue. I am thinking NOT as the HDMI handshake on a newer unit should alleviate incompatible signals. When I used to run 50HZ games on my US tv, the tv used to handle the 50HZ as an underscan rather than a vertical syn issue. Many displays handle 50hz just fine - When the movie is playing it goes to 24P when supported anyway.

You might want to look around on VideoHelp.com - although it is more rare with Blu Ray players, there are players in which you can do certain codes on the remote, or other such tricks to get the unit to switch regions. Attack the problem backwards, look at what player will do it and then look for the player. This is how I ended up with a Philips 5982 DVD Player. Easy region free code, pal<>ntsc conversion, USB, etc... Chances are you will find MANY dvd hacks, but remember, DVD, not Blu Ray.

Go all out and get an Oppo 103.
Build a fairly inexpensive HTPC and play them that way or rip them to your shiny new 4TB (or two) hard drive(s)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Adding to the discussion, looks like doing a search for region free blu ray player on amazon's U.S. site even yields many decent deals on recent model units. I suspect the .CA site to offer a few as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM

Ended up getting This Player. As usual, a bit of a big premium on the standard unmodded player price, but on the other hand...I can now not worry so much about getting steelbooks and the like from Zavvi et al.

Hopefully it arrives in time for me to watch the My Family DVDs I recently bought (not yet arrived).
Old 06-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

That is a nice player (feature wise) - Maybe I might go with that one, a Samsung H5900, or maybe a Philips. There are several Philips to look at, I will choose the latest model if possible, unless they do like Samsung has done lately, remove features on the new models. There is even a Panasonic worth looking at. A lot to think about and when I am ready, I know what to look for now.

The Sony with the expanded Wifi (A/B/G/N), Dual USBs so that on the back one I could leave an external hard drive plugged in, and the front one leave for a USB flash drive and its apparent ability to handle most media codecs and containers, NTFS support, it looks like a winner. On ebay US it sells for $199 shipped to US addresses.

Anyone looking for said players, go to ebay or your local amazon and search all zone blu ray player and see your choices. Go to the manufacturer's website if the product page you're on is insufficient and see what the complete list of features are. You will likely pay between $200 - 250 for a decent unit. If you want CHEAP, there's Saachi or Icom units for about $125.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Ended up getting This Player. As usual, a bit of a big premium on the standard unmodded player price, but on the other hand...I can now not worry so much about getting steelbooks and the like from Zavvi et al.

Hopefully it arrives in time for me to watch the My Family DVDs I recently bought (not yet arrived).
I have a non-region free version of this same player. It's served me well with no major issues.

I got a region-free player earlier this year and splurged for the Oppo 103D. Of course, that was a $600-plus purchase, but it's one heck of a nice player...don't regret paying premium.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Just got it earlier today. Set it up and although with all the other devices we have around here, there isn't an option for surround sound, it's not like it's going to be the main player (well, it might be, if it works well with the same media files as the main player. It might replace it). It has the exact same remote as our other Sony player XD

It switches regions via remote, which is convenient and I tested it on the Jungle Book. Played it just fine.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Just got it earlier today. Set it up and although with all the other devices we have around here, there isn't an option for surround sound,
Are you trying to simulate surround from a non-surround media? Clarify please. Most of the downloaded media I have is in surround, if not though the Denon receiver I have will do it if I ask it to.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Are you trying to simulate surround from a non-surround media? Clarify please. Most of the downloaded media I have is in surround, if not though the Denon receiver I have will do it if I ask it to.
No. It's just that there wasn't any free connectors to the receiver for it, so the audio was just routed from the TV. So just 2.1.

However, it's now the main player in the house (it works with all of stepdad's media files, and a DVD player will be used to play CC-only DVDs, as it has no analog video connectors). So yeah, now it has surround sound, probably through the Optical connector. Forgot to tell him it was set to R2 because I was testing it out, so if he tried to play a BD last night, he would have had trouble XD
Old 07-23-2014, 05:43 AM

Having a region free player is the best.