Sony Issues Warning On Blu-ray's Future - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Banned

Default Sony Issues Warning On Blu-ray's Future

QUOTES

"But sales of Blu-ray discs have never reached expectations, first because of high prices, and second because of the rise of streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. While display experts agree the Blu-ray disc offers a far superior picture to a streaming video, many consumers prefer the convenience (and often cheaper price) of watching a streaming movie."

"The inevitable demise of the local video store has also hurt Blu-ray as consumers have found it more difficult to rent a movie in Blu-ray. The Redbox kiosk is often the only option for Blu-ray owners in many neighborhoods."

"Primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European region, the future profitability of the disc manufacturing business has been revised," Sony said today in a statement. "

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tvone050114.htm
Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
"Primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European region, the future profitability of the disc manufacturing business has been revised," Sony said today in a statement.
Europe in general is a less profitable market than the U.S. for media of any kind. That's why manufacturers bend over backwards and make a superior product for this market, while saying up yours to the U.S. market and giving us the snub altogether.

We are still too many years away from a powerful enough internet to even remotely worry about a physical movie disc format.

I find it ironic Sony blames high prices to be the demise, but they themselves (Sony) have some of the highest priced discs out, and they seldom drop in price as a title becomes "old."
Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Sony is also the champion of excessive DRM to feed their "worried about copying" paranoia. If they gave less money to people like verance for cinavia, and instead made their products (hardware & software) more user friendly, flexible & customer supportive, they might sell more of them . . .
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM

Which would Sony prefer? Sales from digital or sales from blu ray?

Streaming and digital still do not compare to blu ray. The former isn't even close IMO.

I wonder if keeping DVD around this long dissuaded people from buying blu ray.

Streaming and digital is just too convenient for the masses. Again, the lowest common denominator wins. I can't stand that. I hope blu ray stick around for awhile. I really love the medium. I wish they would do more in the blu ray audio realm, since SACD, which I LOVED, died out.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Blu-Ray was never marketed right. When DVD came out, every store you went to that carried it pushed it and they had demos set up showing the difference between VHS and DVD. I saw none of that with Blu-Ray to any great extent. They never educated consumers on why they should own a Blu-Ray player vs a DVD player. The amount of people who still buy DVDs but own a 1080p tv is mind boggling.

The funny thing is that back in late 2005/early 2006 I saw plenty of HD DVD demos and kiosks set up. Now of course, that didn't end up working for them but the BDA had a great opportunity in early 2007 to really push hard on Blu-Ray and market it everywhere now that they knocked HD DVD out of the market. They really fumbled that one up and never achieved the success they should have because of it.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Which would Sony prefer? Sales from digital or sales from blu ray?
From Sony's perspective, digital all the way. They have more control over the product (they can yank streaming rights away at a moment's notice if they feel like it) and far less manufacturing and distribution overhead. Also, they don't have to bother spending money on featurettes or other supplements. Sony takes home a greater percentage of the income from streaming than from discs.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Blu-Ray was never marketed right. When DVD came out, every store you went to that carried it pushed it and they had demos set up showing the difference between VHS and DVD. I saw none of that with Blu-Ray to any great extent. They never educated consumers on why they should own a Blu-Ray player vs a DVD player. The amount of people who still buy DVDs but own a 1080p tv is mind boggling.

The funny thing is that back in late 2005/early 2006 I saw plenty of HD DVD demos and kiosks set up. Now of course, that didn't end up working for them but the BDA had a great opportunity in early 2007 to really push hard on Blu-Ray and market it everywhere now that they knocked HD DVD out of the market. They really fumbled that one up and never achieved the success they should have because of it.
I absolutely agree here, it was marketed awful. Plus in the beginning wasn't the software just horrible with bad javascript or something? Was it the DRM? Even today some people still can't play some blu rays in some players for some odd reason. There are still glitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
From Sony's perspective, digital all the way. They have more control over the product (they can yank streaming rights away at a moment's notice if they feel like it) and far less manufacturing and distribution overhead. Also, they don't have to bother spending money on featurettes or other supplements. Sony takes home a greater percentage of the income from streaming than from discs.
Since you put it that way, I can see how it would benefit them more to go digital. The quality is not as good as the blu ray discs, plus all the these digital movies don't have the supplements, which I like to have.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:38 PM

The studios never cared about quality, sales and reissuing were more a concern than a higher quality product. 1080p, 4k, 3d were more with the idea of boosting sales in a new area than improving the experience. Unfortunately DVD still meet most peoples expectations and streaming gains in popularity.

I have no doubt the studios want a form of Digital content they can control better. What hd dvd planned on was cheat to replace DVD with a dual format disc, I don't think it would have proven any better than they way blu-rays are sold since most come with a dvd as well.

EDIT
IMHO DVR and streaming contribute to any sales deficit, opposed to say a formats lack of popularity. DVDS sold unbelievably well and gave the wrong impression of what consumer would continue of support.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Blu-rays aren't going anywhere for a long while, although they may become more niche - but that's not a bad thing, as that may result in getting more titles designed for the collector as opposed to the mass market.

Despite everyone and their sister downloading music, studios are still pressing CDs, and, of course, standard DVDs are far from disappearing, either.

Blu-rays will start to fade once 4k TVs have penetrated the majority of American homes AND most of your streaming services (not to mention your internet providers) are providing 4k titles that are quick to download and/or stream without any freezing or other glitches. In other words, not in this decade.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Blu-rays will start to fade once 4k TVs have penetrated the majority of American homes AND most of your streaming services (not to mention your internet providers) are providing 4k titles that are quick to download and/or stream without any freezing or other glitches. In other words, not in this decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I wonder if keeping DVD around this long dissuaded people from buying blu ray.
Imagine if they didn't stop VHS production how many years ago where dvd would be. Dumbasses.

Shannon - if 4K gets more popular, I still think Boston's comment is still going to hold very true. SIGH