White specks? I need help narrowing down the problem. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Default White specks? I need help narrowing down the problem.

Setup, all purchased within the last few months, but just outside of Amazon's return policy for the BD player...

Monoprice RedMere 30 foot HDMI
Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray player
Viewsonic PJD7820HD 3D DLP projector (1080p)

So not long ago, I noticed (when Hulu is loading a show and the screen is all black) white specks that would appear on the screen. Over the course of 10 seconds, you might see two or three, not all exactly the same size (all small, but some a tiny bit larger).

It seems like noise of some sort.

I also see it on the black menu screen for the BD player, so it is not just a problem with Hulu. I haven't noticed on BD playback. At least not yet.

In all my time calibrating my setup prior, with solid black and white screens for contrast and brightness, I never saw any of this before. So I have a strong feeling this does not happen with discs, though tonight I will double check.

Anyway, I hooked up a 720p Roku, using the same HDMI cable and same HDMI port on the projector. No problems with Hulu, none of that noise.

Again, that would be sending a 720p picture, so perhaps it's the cable when doing 1080p? I have no problem sending full 1080p 3D images along the cable (no noise that I notice, no problems watching Gravity on the current BD player).

I suspect that it's the BD player, as it's pretty cheaply built in my opinion (just my experience handling it). I searched, but couldn't find people talking about it in the many reviews online.

What I'm asking is...

Is this something anyone here has experienced before, and does it seem most likely that it is the BD player?

I would just hate for it to be the projector.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

If it is in fact the blu-ray player, consider yourself lucky. Viewsonic and Optoma projectors (and pretty much all DLP TVs) are known for white dots, which are the equivalent of dead pixels, and if it is that, they will multiply over time until it's unwatchable. It usually starts with about 2 white dots, which can appear to be different sizes, and every day of usage, it usually increases by 2-3 dots. The DMD/DLP chips are the culprit, which are CPUs with thousands of tiny mirrors on them. The mirrors get stuck in the off position and the whole chip has to be replaced. The only way to confirm what it is is to use it and see if it gets worse or not. Well, that's not really the only way, but I don't know if you're comfortable with taking the DMD chip out and inspecting it for dead pixels. I don't think you need to do that, because either it will get worse, and that will confirm the problem, or it will be just the blu-ray player, and you won't have to bother with anything other than getting a new player.

Is the projector under warranty?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
If it is in fact the blu-ray player, consider yourself lucky. Viewsonic and Optoma projectors (and pretty much all DLP TVs) are known for white dots, which are the equivalent of dead pixels, and if it is that, they will multiply over time until it's unwatchable. It usually starts with about 2 white dots, which can appear to be different sizes, and every day of usage, it usually increases by 2-3 dots. The DMD/DLP chips are the culprit, which are CPUs with thousands of tiny mirrors on them. The mirrors get stuck in the off position and the whole chip has to be replaced. The only way to confirm what it is is to use it and see if it gets worse or not. Well, that's not really the only way, but I don't know if you're comfortable with taking the DMD chip out and inspecting it for dead pixels. I don't think you need to do that, because either it will get worse, and that will confirm the problem, or it will be just the blu-ray player, and you won't have to bother with anything other than getting a new player.

Is the projector under warranty?
I read a bit about this problem, and from what it sounds like, those white spots appear and then stay there. In my case, it's almost like film grain. Tiny white specks that appear and disappear very quickly and seemingly randomly.

I believe my viewsonic has a 3 year warranty, so at least there is that!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I read a bit about this problem, and from what it sounds like, those white spots appear and then stay there. In my case, it's almost like film grain. Tiny white specks that appear and disappear very quickly and seemingly randomly.

I believe my viewsonic has a 3 year warranty, so at least there is that!
That sounds pretty encouraging. There are rare exceptions, but in general, once a pixel is dead or stuck, it doesn't come back to life.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
That sounds pretty encouraging. There are rare exceptions, but in general, once a pixel is dead or stuck, it doesn't come back to life.
I got very close to the screen, in an attempt to see the "shape" of these white specks, couldn't. But it was bigger (at least, in some instances) than a single pixel.

The BD player is pretty lousy, in my opinion. I mean, picture quality is good, but the software is problematic, and I've had to go through several updates already (each time making Hulu more buggy). When my connection slows and causes Netflix to halt streaming 3D content, the whole thing crashes and I have to unplug it from the electrical outlet. Hell, when it first arrived and I took it out of the factory sealed box, there was a gap between the back panel and the top of the unit where the top wasn't fully snapped into place.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 PM

I kind of had this same problem with my plasma...I think. I had my blu-ray player hooked up with my TV using a Philips HDMI cable. After a while, I started noticing these white specks on the screen. I switched my HDMI cable to another HDMI cable (I forget the brand) and the specks were gone. Funny thing is, I now have that same Philips HDMI cable running from my PS3 to the same TV and there's no white specks at all.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Administrator

It's most likely a handshake HDMI cable issue. You either need to swap the HDMI cable from the BD player to receiver, or the receiver to projector cable (my guess is that it's your 30-footer). Great news is Monoprice has a lifetime warranty on their cables.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Hmm, I forgot about the good warranty on the HDMI cable from Monoprice. Thanks Palmer!

theHDphantom, I'll have to swap things around to narrow it down.

Unfortunately, I don't have another long enough HDMI cable to swap out the 30ft one used for the projector (it's a single HDMI from the BD player, with digital audio output separate). I'll try out a comparable BD player from another room, etc, till I'm certain what the issue is.

Thanks guys for your replies!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM

I totally missed that part about having a 30' HDMI cable. duh... Some electronics may be picky about the cables at that length. I have a 40' aurum that seems to work fine, with very few dropouts, even sending a 1080p 3D signal, but I tried either an 80' or 100' one with a built in internal amplifier, and none of my electronics would work with it. It went back to amazon!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Good luck! Hopefully it's one of the shorter cables. When this happened to me, it was the BD player to receiver, so I just moved things around until Monoprice sent me a new one. Cheers.