Sony blu-ray blue screen issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Question Sony blu-ray blue screen issue

Hi, so I am going to try to explain this as best I can and hopefully someone can help me, or at least point me in the direction of help.

I have a Toshiba 32BV801B TV and Toshiba SD3010KB DVD player connected via HDMI.

I recently bought a Sony BDP-S1100 blu-ray player, which I connected via HDMI.

I realised whilst watching it that occasionally there would be a *phut* and the screen would go blue (like the connection was lost) and then come back. I initially thought this was a problem with the HDMI connection, so I made sure it was pushed right in at both ends and it would seem ok for a while, then it would do it again. I tried changing the HDMI cable and changing which port on the TV it went into (there are 3) with no success. Yesterday and today the problem was considerably worse, with the blue screen flickers occurring every few minutes, so I took the player back and got a new one of the same model (assuming the problem was the machine itself) but I set the new one up and am having exactly the same problem.

I did try the player with a different TV (a Next branded one) and it seemed to work fine, however that may have been because I didn't leave it on long enough for the problem to show itself?

As an aside, I do have the same problem when I connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI, I assumed my laptop couldn't handle it, perhaps this was not the case.

I have some queries as to possible causes, but would be very grateful if someone could let me know the issue, because I don't want to go and get another Blu-Ray player just to have the same problem. These were some of my thoughts:

1) I need a better HDMI cable - the cables I have are apparently gold plated, but we're just cheap off amazon so probably aren't the best. They do work fine with the DVD player.

2) there is a problem with the USB ports on the TV - I really hope there is no problem with the TV coz I cannot afford to replace it. Again, the DVD player works fine which would suggest nothing is wrong with the ports.

3) there is a compatibility problem between the Toshiba TV and Sony Blu-Ray - I know there shouldn't be, but it seems the most likely issue as far as I can tell (although does not explain why my Toshiba TV doesn't like my Toshiba laptop).

Any help would be much appreciated, before I end up in a cycle of non-working blu-rays.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Nothing definitive, but try checking your video settings in the player. Even read the manual to get a good explanation of each video setting option the player offers.
Is the player set to 1080P/24 and the tv cannot handle that? Same with the laptop and refresh rate/resolution settings.
Is the color depth mode in the player set to TV and NOT RGB, as the tv may not handle RGB?

Compare the manual of the player and the tv specs, something is not matching too well.