Lossless audio now available through USB port?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Lossless audio now available through USB port??

Being an HTPC fan, I have always avoided discs like the plague. But when the HTPC is down or doing something else, I do use my Blu-ray player, which up until now was an older Samsung that played everything great through the USB port. That is, except DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD.

So I grabbed a new Panasonic DMP-BD230T because the price was so juicy and I want to transition to 3D eventually. To my complete surprise, I can play lossless Blu-ray rips from the USB port to my portable hard drive!!!

When did this happen? Because it certainly wasn't available when I bought the Samsung in 2009
Old 01-16-2014, 03:03 PM

I would imagine sometime in the last 2 maybe 3 years now. My Sony BDP-S590 was able to play playback lossless audio when I bought it nearly two years ago.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Being an HTPC fan, I have always avoided discs like the plague. But when the HTPC is down or doing something else, I do use my Blu-ray player, which up until now was an older Samsung that played everything great through the USB port. That is, except DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD.

So I grabbed a new Panasonic DMP-BD230T because the price was so juicy and I want to transition to 3D eventually. To my complete surprise, I can play lossless Blu-ray rips from the USB port to my portable hard drive!!!

When did this happen? Because it certainly wasn't available when I bought the Samsung in 2009
Hi Favelle. Side question:

I know there's a lot of information out there -- I've been reading tons of it -- but how do you, personally, get your BD rips with the lossless audio? Do you do any extra compression, transcoding, or stick with ISOs? I'm Mac based (though I have a copy of XP I could use) and a little hesitant to dip my tow into discless entertainment. Basically, I'd love to get an external BD drive and start backing up my BDs at full quality (and to avoid forced trailers), but not sure if I should transcode or not, or, really, the best way to begin.

#newbinthisregard.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffeman View Post
I would imagine sometime in the last 2 maybe 3 years now. My Sony BDP-S590 was able to play playback lossless audio when I bought it nearly two years ago.
This is awesome...I am so pumped. Its almost a fully-fledged media player now....love it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Hi Favelle. Side question:

I know there's a lot of information out there -- I've been reading tons of it -- but how do you, personally, get your BD rips with the lossless audio? Do you do any extra compression, transcoding, or stick with ISOs? I'm Mac based (though I have a copy of XP I could use) and a little hesitant to dip my tow into discless entertainment. Basically, I'd love to get an external BD drive and start backing up my BDs at full quality (and to avoid forced trailers), but not sure if I should transcode or not, or, really, the best way to begin.

#newbinthisregard.
No compression...I just use MakeMKV and rip out the main movie and lossless audio track. That's it. Takes about 20 minutes or less per movie. Ends up being around 24-30GB per movie. No ISO's, everything resides in the MKV container. ISO's are a pain and unnecessary unless you are re-burning to disc. Do NOT transcode...no point. Space is cheap. Why risk the errors or possible macroblocks?