The January 1st 2014 AACS analog hole mandate has officially now been enforced - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default The January 1st 2014 AACS analog hole mandate has officially now been enforced

100% of all Blu-ray players being shipped in the 4th quarter of 2013 no longer have any analog video outputs since they are ready for the January 1st 2014 mandate

(The January 1st 2014 AACS analog hole mandate has officially now been enforced on all new Blu-ray players)

** The Blu-ray format is the only consumer video format in history that requires consumers to purchase a new TV if their TV lacks HDMI inputs **

For the last several years off and on I have briefly mentioned the January 1st 2014 AACS requirement that requires all new Blu-ray players to only have an active HDMI output when playing AACS copy protected Blu-ray discs. 99.9% of store bought Blu-ray discs are AACS encoded. Over the last few years Blu-ray player manufactories have been removing the analog video outputs (Back around 2008 480i S-Video use to be an option on Blu-ray players). Then 1080i component video outputs were removed and then 480i component video outputs started being removed. Now in late 2013 100% of all new Blu-ray players have no 480i composite video outputs at all for legacy SD displays. To make matters worse the other day I was in Best Buy and all the Blu-ray players on the shelf had no analog audio outputs at all (not even a left and right stereo output for legacy DVI HDTV’s. Multi-zone home amplifiers also require analog stereo outputs for CD audio playback). This AACS rule only applies to the analog video outputs and does not apply to the analog audio outputs. However many new Blu-ray players now are also removing all the analog audio outputs to make the Blu-ray players cheaper in price.

The good news is that older Blu-ray players that people currently own with analog video outputs will continue to output video out of the analog video outputs. The reason why the AACS analog hole rules are in place for all new Blu-ray players is to stop consumers from making SD and HD analog copies of movies by using an external image stabilizer with analog recording capabilities. I am all for stopping video piracy, however forcing consumers to upgrade their old HDTV or SDTV to one with HDMI inputs in order to watch Blu-ray discs will be unpopular with some consumers that keep their TV’s 10-20+ years. The latest HD satellite receivers and latest HD cable boxes have tons of analog video outputs like 1080i component video, 480i S-Video, and 480i composite video for consumers that still own older TV’s without HDMI inputs.

Best Buy employees have all kinds of horror stories about some people that hook up Blu-ray players. Some people are purchasing Blu-ray players, they are going home, and they are not able to connect them to their HDCP DVI HDTV’s because the Blu-ray players offer no analog audio outputs. A surround sound system is required to hook up a Blu-ray player when there is no analog audio outputs and one only owns a HDTV with a DVI input. To get analog audio outputs on a Blu-ray player some consumers are purchasing OPPO Blu-ray players starting at $499.

At retail stores some people purchase a Blu-ray player and take it home and end up returning it since their old SDTV or HDTV only has analog video inputs. Then when they come back to the store they purchase a $25 DVD player that has component video outputs with analog audio outputs.

Some people that do have modern HDTV’s with a HDMI input are purchasing Blu-ray players only to watch their DVD collection and to do some video streaming. I ran into one person once that was not interested in playing Blu-ray movies at all on their Blu-ray player. If one seats to far away from the screen they will have a hard time telling the difference between 480i DVD and 1080P Blu-ray. Blu-ray looks much better with more resolution detail when compared to DVD as long as one seats close enough to the screen.

The good news is that after a few years or several years this AACS January 1st 2014 analog hole mandate will be a non issue for most people

The analog hole mandate to remove all analog video outputs from new Blu-ray players was enforced to stop analog piracy, however the positive effect is that it has made Blu-ray players more affordable for consumers. Also with the majority of companies removing all the analog audio outputs from Blu-ray players it has also made Blu-ray players even cheaper to manufactory. $50 Blu-ray players are now a reality (DVD players are half the price at around $25). Over the next few years or several years people will start replacing their old analog TV sets and old DVI HDTV’s with HDMI models. When that occurs Blu-ray players will pick up in demand since consumers will be able to upgrade their DVD players to Blu-ray players for the very first time. The consumers that own the old HDTV’s and SDTV’s without HDMI inputs are the consumers that will stick with the DVD format only until they get around to purchasing a new TV with HDMI inputs.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Simple response even though the hole does not really affect me;
Fuck the Blu-ray coalition, they should really be ashamed of themselves. It will in no way thwart video piracy, all it does is alienate possible new customers.
A person that has a dvd player die decides to buy a blu-ray player knowing it is a stepping stone until they can afford to get a new, hdmi capable tv. Much the same reason I buy the 3D blu-ray disc set whenever possible, knowing I will have the software so that when I buy the hardware, I'm ready. But the new scenario created by "the hole" only makes it more difficult to convert the person in the above situation.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

I have seen a few new and even old Blu-ray players that only have one HDMI output with no legacy optical and no coaxial digital output. Doing this forces consumers to own a modern A/V receiver that supports lossless audio over HDMI if they want surround sound. As far as I am aware only OPPO and a select few $500+ Blu-ray players offers analog audio outputs. Even the $399 Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD has no analog audio outputs at all. At the very minimum Blu-ray players should have a 2 channel stereo analog output since all the modern A/V receivers including Pioneer models require that feature when using the zone 2 or zone 3 feature. Also with a 2 channel analog output it would allow consumers to connect a Blu-ray player to a older DVI HDTVs without the requirement to own a stereo system or surround sound system.

Almost all the Blu-ray players except for OPPO models are being made so cheaply these days. Sony and Panasonic should start making a higher end model for around $300 that offers 7.1 analog outputs. Then the $100 models should offer 2 channel analog with the $50 and under Blu-ray players only offering HDMI output if the analog audio has to be removed to make things as cheap as possible (better yet leave 2.0 analog stereo on all Blu-ray players). The problem we have today is the $400 model Blu-ray players do not even have any analog audio outputs at all. Some consumers are not going to put up with this and instead will buy a $25 DVD player that has all the legacy video and analog connections that they need like component video, 2 channel analog outputs, and digital optical audio output. A $25 DVD player in 2013 has more video and audio connections when compared to a $400 Blu-ray player. Some consumers see the DVD format as a better value.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 PM

I use the 5.1 analog outs on the Oppo 95, because my receiver is old and doesn't have HDMI. But even if I bought a new receiver I would still use them because the DACs in the Oppo are probably better than those I would find in my next receiver. I also like having the separate stereo analog outs as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 AM

That is a great news i guess.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 AM

My existing collection of blu-ray players that include a flexible array of both digital and analog output options look better every day. I think I'll keep them and pass on new, less flexible equipment.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Yes you are are saying true....
Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 AM

Indeed that is true.