Which settings for BPD-S300? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 AM

Unhappy Which settings for BPD-S300?

Just picked one up tonight...still not sure if I'm gonna take it back and exchange for the Panasonic. Anyway...

I recently added the Onkyo 805 receiver to my home theatre and I'm using the Sony SXRD 60" television.

What I'm wondering is how I should run the audio out of the blu-ray player (HDMI, digital coax, 5.1), and what setting I should select for the audio output format, in order to make the most of my system?

Also, should I run the HDMI for video straight to the TV, or will I maintain video quality running through the 805? I'm currently using a PS3 and I THINK I'm taking advantage of the BD audio formats because I get different audio selections on the 805 when I play movies on the PS3 versus my DVD player.

This is all so confusing to me that I don't even know if any of what I just said makes sense!!!

Thanks in advance?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM

Does your reciever have HDMI SWITCHING? If not, you aren't getting uncompressed audio. Optical/coax will give you 2-channel uncompressed. If your reciever has 5.1 analog inputs, you can hook up your bdps300 that way and utilize the uncompressed audio tracks, but HDMI will be the best. If not, optical or Coax digital to the reciever, and HDMI to the TV would be your best bet.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Whoa yeah! Just googled your reciever, Definately run your BDPS300 HDMI to your reciever and out into your TV. You should be able to select the uncompressed audio formats within the BD disc, and see the bit rate when you hit display on the player or reciever. Congrats on the purchase!