Oppo 103D with Darbee Visual Presence processing - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Oppo 103D with Darbee Visual Presence processing

Great to see a new player due from Oppo but intriguingly this unit makes use of DarbeeVision technology:

Quote:
DarbeeVision Licenses Visual Presence to World Class Blu-ray Maker:
OPPO Digital's BDP 103D - World's First Darbee Visual Presence Enabled Blu-ray Player
SANTA ANA, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 16, 2013) - As a major licensing win for home entertainment system products, DarbeeVision, Inc., a pioneer in the field of digital image enhancement, has licensed its Visual Presence™ technology to Mountain View-based OPPO Digital for their Model 103D Blu-ray player. The 103D will provide Visual Presence image enhancement processing in real time, adding Darbee Visual Presence depth, clarity and realism to any video content -- resulting in an unparalleled viewing experience for HD and upscaled HD to 4K video. The first public demonstration of the 103D will be at DarbeeVision's booth #2366, at the CEDIA Expo in Denver, Colorado, Sept. 25-28, 2013. This exciting showcase of the new Blu-ray player will run the duration of the show, and will feature HD and upscaled 4K displayed video content.
OPPO's products are recognized for their high quality workmanship and performance. Their design approach focuses on the creation of a superior Blu-ray player viewing experience that delivers high value, cutting edge technologies and innovative features -- making them a natural fit to partner with DarbeeVision. "Being selected by OPPO as their new feature is a wonderful confirmation that we provide a high value video enhancement technology. We know that the OPPO platform provides unparalleled image fidelity for a Blu-ray player. Being associated with their 103 Model Blu-ray player system, at the pinnacle of home theater fidelity, guarantees that our processing is being seen at its best," says DarbeeVision, president and COO, Larry Pace. "We are certain that the 103D will produce an un-paralleled viewing experience."
The BDP-103 Darbee Edition (BDP-103D) is the latest addition to OPPO's award-winning line of Blu-ray Disc™ players. Based on the successful OPPO BDP-103 player and aided by Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) technology, the BDP-103D takes home theater beyond accuracy and brings exceptional depth and realism to the visual experience. Just like the BDP-103, the BDP-103D reproduces video from DVD, Blu-ray, media files, and streaming services with accuracy and fidelity. Beyond that, thanks to the patented DVP technology, the BDP-103D can embed stereoscopic depth cues into the video and deliver an enhanced image when the user turns on one of the three Darbee enhancement modes. The changes made to the video are adjustable so that the result can range from being very subtle to very noticeable, and the DVP technology analyzes the video in real time and enhances visual depth and detail in such a way that it does not alter the calibration of the home theater system. The BDP-103D unifies the often conflicting goals of an ideal home theater: reference quality accuracy to express the filmmaker's original intent, and tweaks to suit the viewer's personal tastes.
DarbeeVision is offering its Darbee Visual Presence technology for consumer electronics product integrations. Please visit www.darbeevision.com or call 657-600-8241 for more information.
To learn more, please visit DarbeeVision.com, and DarbeeVision's Facebook.
About OPPO Digital
Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
With products that speak for themselves and relying on word-of-mouth, OPPO Digital does not have any dedicated Marketing and Sales personnel. We have spent most of all energy on product design and customer service. We pride ourselves on servicing all our customers right here in Mountain View, California.

About DarbeeVision
DarbeeVision Inc. was founded by Paul Darbee and Larry Pace to commercialize system products, discrete hardware and embedded solutions based on Darbee Visual Presence Technology. DarbeeVision is offering its Darbee Visual Presence technology for consumer electronics product integrations. The privately held company is headquartered in Santa Ana, California, USA. For information call 657-600-8241, email [email protected], or visit www.DarbeeVision.com.
All DarbeeVision™, Darbee™ patents, trademarks, copyrights and licensing are a product of DarbeeVision Inc.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...er-1831029.htm

I guess this news may well not play too well with opponents of Darbee's other product but for me it remains genuinely exciting.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Uh oh, tele1962 may just have a stroke at this news.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Really very nice to see Oppo incorporating the Darbee. I wonder how much the player will sell for.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Uh oh, tele1962 may just have a stroke at this news.
Not really Josh, artificial video enhancement tools have been around for a long time.............OPPO have made a marketing decision. I will stick with the experts on this one and luckily it can be turned off.

PS
Just on a side note the very best voice in AV ( I think you might have seen his post over on HTF) has thrown his hat in the ring regarding this one and it is a resounding thumbs down for this processing.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Not really Josh, artificial video enhancement tools have been around for a long time.............OPPO have made a marketing decision. I will stick with the experts on this one and luckily it can be turned off.
The 'experts' tend to back the Darblet, Barry.... The dissenters remain in the minority basically. Oppo's decision is highly salient here as they are obviously ignoring the siren wails from certain quarters and are going with a device that has deservedly won much acclaim across the board.
It is a helluva recognition for the technology too that a very respected hardware manufacturer such as Oppo have endorsed it for integration into one of their players.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
The 'experts' tend to back the Darblet, Barry.... The dissenters remain in the minority basically. Oppo's decision is highly salient here as they are obviously ignoring the siren wails from certain quarters and are going with a device that has deservedly won much acclaim across the board.
It is a helluva recognition for the technology too that a very respected hardware manufacturer such as Oppo have endorsed it for integration into one of their players.
Every single expert bar none who are directly involved in the industry have all come out against it and what it does.

Tell you what....why don't we make a list of experts for and against and see how they compare?

Lumagen & OPPO and many others have always added extra processing if required.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Every single expert bar none who are directly involved in the industry have all come out against it and what it does.
Do we really need to bring up all the positive reviews from the previous thread that completely make a nonsense out of that claim? Me - I am waiting for them to bring out a 105D so I can replace my Oppo 95 with a Darblet capable device. If you are good, I will call it Barry
Old 09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do we really need to bring up all the positive reviews from the previous thread that completely make a nonsense out of that claim? Me - I am waiting for them to bring out a 105D so I can replace my Oppo 95 with a Darblet capable device. If you are good, I will call it Barry
I am not on about reviewers but experts in the field of AV.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I am not on about reviewers but experts in the field of AV.
I think we established quite clearly in the previous thread the expertise of the reviewers who back the device, including those with ISF Calibration skills. It is getting late, so I am retiring - you be good now....
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think we established quite clearly in the previous thread the expertise of the reviewers who back the device, including those with ISF Calibration skills. It is getting late, so I am retiring - you be good now....
Which ones were they again, and please remember those who train the ISF/THX Calibrators and set the standards.

PS
A thought before you retire............all the information on a 1080p Blu Ray disc that you are supposed to see is there (an answer came back from the very best in the business regarding this and it was a very simple "YUP") , if it were not it would have been a very simple task at the authoring stage to make it available, why do you think it was not added?

Last edited by tele1962; 09-24-2013 at 06:05 PM.