Panasonic DMP-BDT230 (very negative review link) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 AM
Banned

Default Panasonic DMP-BDT230 (very negative review link)

Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray player review link

** This Blu-ray player is a big disappointment for several reasons **

As required by the AACS rules this Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray player does not have any analog video outputs at all since the licensing agreements for all new Blu-ray players starting on January 1st 2014 requires only a HDMI output when playing AACS copy protected Blu-ray discs. This rule only applies to the analog video outputs and does not apply to the analog audio outputs. However many new Blu-ray players now are also removing all the analog audio outputs also to make the Blu-ray players cheaper in price.

In 2013 some Blu-ray players are designed to be very low cost and with less features. For example many new 2013 Blu-ray players including the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 offer no analog audio outputs at all. This means that a consumer that owns an older non-HDMI flat panel display from around 2006 or other non HDMI display with only a DVI input will be required to own a stereo system or surround system to hear audio. If ones flat panel display or projector only has a DVI input then to hear audio from the Panasonic DMP-BDT230, one either needs to purchase a new flat panel display with a HDMI input or connect a surround sound system. A HDMI to DVI adapter cable will only send video to the display. A Blu-ray player should have left and right analog stereo outputs for legacy equipment. Those that own a modern flat panel display with HDMI inputs will be able to hear audio without the requirement to own a surround sound system.

The ideal Blu-ray player should have 1GB of built in memory for BD-LIVE, which is a feature not offered on any Panasonic Blu-ray player. In prior Panasonic Blu-ray player models the SD card was used for BD-LIVE, however on the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 one is required to use a USB flash drive or USB hard drive since the SDXC card slot cannot be used for BD-LIVE. What is disappointing is that there is no rear USB port so when one uses BD-LIVE cosmetically the drive is always plugged into the front of the Blu-ray player. In older Panasonic Blu-ray players the SDXC card slot could be used for BD-LIVE and was an excellent cosmetic design that was hidden behind a small front panel..

To make matters worse the review link for the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 mentions that Panasonic has changed processing chips this year that creates all kinds of video quality issues.

According to the review this years 2013 Panasonic DMP-BDT230 appears to be a big disappointment. In the past, I have been very happy with Panasonic Blu-ray players that I have personally used, this new 2013 Panasonic Blu-ray player is a big disappointment for several reasons. Some of the problems mentioned in the review might be fixed with a future firmware update, however some of the issues like offering no analog audio outputs are hardware engineering cost cutting decisions.

The following are select word for word quotes from the review

“The design of the player itself is pretty basic, as most Blu-ray players are today. The rear offers only Ethernet, HDMI and Optical connectors. The power cable is detachable, so it is easy to replace with a different size and is uncommon at this price point.”

“The front has the inputs hidden away behind a drop-down panel, but includes USB and SD Card slots. Unfortunately the SD slot is only for playing back music or pictures on the Panasonic, and isn't used for BD-Live. If you want BD-Live content, you'll need to leave this panel open and have a USB drive attached at all times. I really wish vendors included the memory for BD-Live or at least had a rear USB port, so you didn't need a USB drive sticking off the front at all times.”

“As a disc player, the Panasonic was good, but as a streaming player, I wasn't impressed.”

"Beyond the colorspace issue that I discussed earlier, there is another problem I found in the DMP-BDT230. It applies some extra sharpening to the color information that you can't defeat, and has the potential to cause some moiré or other visual effects due to it. The Spears & Munsil chroma zone plates clearly demonstrate this issue. I'm not sure why Panasonic changed processing chips this year, but it seems to have some issues that weren't present on the last model.”

I'm unfortunately very disappointed in the Panasonic DMP-BDT230. Even if it had perfect playback and incredible streaming content, I'd still be hard pressed to recommend it based on the innovation of advertising that they have built in. Other vendors that include advertising on their products, like the Amazon Kindle, let you buy one without advertising if you wish, and make you very aware you're getting it with ads. Those also aren't video ads with sound on a Kindle. Since other vendors make Blu-ray players that don't include advertising this way, I'd say to get one of those.”

“The bugs that are present right now only help to reinforce this decision. The bug in the colorspace menu is a big one that shouldn't have been missed, and the extra sharpening in the color data is another problem. The menu button bug adds to this, and the lack of noise reduction is something I haven't seen in any other player that I can recall.”

“I really am unsure what happened here, as prior Panasonic players have been great, but this one just falls well short of what I expect. The Wi-Fi performance was also poor, with issues on streaming content and a streaming interface that was slow and laggy. Blu-ray discs might look fine when you play them back, but that is the bare minimum we expect from a player and almost all of them can do that just fine. Right now I would look at other players unless we hear that Panasonic has fixed all of the bugs with another firmware update, and removed the ads at the same time.”

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/panasonic-dmp-bdt230-blu-ray-player.html

DMP-BDT230 Owner's Manual

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-01-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:03 AM

i agree with it need to know what could the steps used to improve the situation of it?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Banned

There is nothing a consumer can do to fix the problems, it’s up to Panasonic software engineers to try to fix some of the issues with a firmware update. In the past I have strongly recommended OPPO, Panasonic, and Sony Blu-ray players to consumers. Now I am only going to recommend OPPO and Sony Blu-ray players to consumers. The older Panasonic Blu-ray players from 2010 were excellent models for picture quality and DVD upscaling, plus the SDXC card slot could be used for BD-LIVE. Also there were some good 2008,2009, and 2011 Panasonic Blu-ray players. Panasonic dropped the ball in 2013.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Are you serious when you mention that analog outputs are to be removed due to new agreements? I thought the analog outputs were simply locked to a specific resolution.
The Blu Ray coalition has reached a new low if this is true.
Reminds me of a quote from Star Wars - "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
The more the clamp down on DRM, the more they will criminalize the average Joe.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Banned

There were two AACS licensing agreement dates to phase out the analog hole. The first agreement was to reduce the component video output quality from HD to SD quality. On all new Blu-ray players introduced on Jan 1st 2011 the analog video outputs like component video were reduced to 480i quality. Then on Jan 1st 2014 all new Blu-ray players are not allowed to play AACS encrypted Blu-ray discs from any analog video outputs, only copy protected HDMI outputs. Since 99.9% of Blu-ray movies are AACS encoded the industry has decided to remove all the analog video outputs from all new Blu-ray players released in late 2013 (Consumers would be really confused if they could use analog outputs to play DVD’s and streaming VUDU content, however when playing a AACS encoded Blu-ray disc the analog outputs would not work, so removing the analog video outputs completely gets rid of some complaints on why only a Blu-ray disc will not play from the analog video outputs).

To make matters worse it appears that most Blu-ray players from most companies are also removing the analog audio outputs to make the Blu-ray players cheaper. At least OPPO Digital INC still offers analog audio outputs on their Blu-ray players.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:31 AM

It is amazing to me the lengths this industry will go in pursuit of their useless infatuation with drm. Do they think folks actually play a blu-ray in order to "rip" the video in HD mode via component outputs and the audio tracks via analog outputs off a player? Who would bother to ever do that?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
It is amazing to me the lengths this industry will go in pursuit of their useless infatuation with drm. Do they think folks actually play a blu-ray in order to "rip" the video in HD mode via component outputs and the audio tracks via analog outputs off a player? Who would bother to ever do that?
As it is now, every time Fox has a new batch of titles, they don't work on some players.
Is Fox related to Electronic Farts Software company? Their protection schemes got so bad that I, a legitimate PC user could not run some of their titles and their support department was useless. The only thing that fixed the problem was by downloading a no-cd crack for my legally bought game so I could run it. I made sure to mention this to them in email.
Little by little, older generation players are not getting firmware updates anymore, so the only legit way for one to play the newer titles is to actually rip them. I am strongly considering a Media Server myself as the new DRMs increase load times, then the forced ads and FBI warnings and such that in some cases are not skippable.