Best PC Burner to get? Some Confusion... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Best PC Burner to get? Some Confusion...

Hi all - just wondering what the best PC Blu Ray burner is.
I am looking at an Internal Drive, Sata, faceplate needs to be black.
The confusion is the plethora of formats available that the various drives support.
Maybe my choices below are all identical except the BDXL option (??) maybe not, I just want to make sure I buy the right drive the first time.

BD-R, BD-RE, BD-rom, BDXL?
I had heard that set-top players do not play BD-R format, so what do they play??

Is BDXL any bit a useful feature or should I save my money on a drive that omits that feature?

If I want BDXL, looks like the Pioneer BDR-2208 is the best choice. It supports BDXL and is a 15x Bd burner. The dvd write speed is only 16x and some of the read speeds are not top of the line.

If I don't want BDXL and save a few bucks and stick with Pioneer, the Pioneer BDR-208BDK looks like a winner.

If I want a Liteon Drive (which I have had great luck with this brand in the past,) either the IHBS112-04 or the IHBS312-98 look like winners.
Both Liteons offer faster dvd and cd write speeds and faster read speeds for all formats.

The Liteon 11204 claims to have Smart-X technology to adjust read speeds based on the quality of the media.
Both Liteons claim to be able to read BD, BD-2 layer, 3 layer and 4 layer discs.

3D support? Both the Pioneer 2208 and the Liteon 11204 both make these claims, but I thought that was a software function, not hardware. The Liteon also claims 2d to 3d conversion, but once again I thought that was the software.

Dvd-Ram - Both Liteons and the Pioneer 2208 claim to be able to use them, the Pioneer only 5X write, the Liteons 12X.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

So nobody has any experience with BD Burners and the various formats?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 PM

I have had excellent experience with my Lite-On BD burner using BD-R media and BD-RE media. I have not had any need for nor use of the various other formats and capabilities you speak of.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 PM

I have had or have:

Lite-On
LG
Panasonic
Asus
Sony

They all work aboutte same. Its the media that you need. Verbatim is ALL you want.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I have had or have:
Its the media that you need. Verbatim is ALL you want.
I will agree that Verbatim is the best, but I've had pretty good luck with Optical Quantum media as well (and it's usually significantly cheaper ... I think you can get a 50 pack of 25GB BD-Rs for about $30-35 at Amazon).
Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I will agree that Verbatim is the best, but I've had pretty good luck with Optical Quantum media as well (and it's usually significantly cheaper ... I think you can get a 50 pack of 25GB BD-Rs for about $30-35 at Amazon).
Thanks Bryan, I'll give those a try!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

So the media is a game then, thanks for the amazon info. What format does a set-top player read?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
So the media is a game then, thanks for the amazon info. What format does a set-top player read?
That really depends on the specific set-top player. The Oppos (both BDP-93 and BDP-103) will play pretty much any BD-R I've thrown at it .... standard 25 GB BD-R, BD-R DLs, even LTH BD-Rs (a "cheaper" BD-R that allows manufacturers to make the discs on older DVD-R production lines).
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

As much as I've had Pioneer drives in my years, I am leaning towards the Liteon as it has faster overall speeds, even though it does not support BDXL, which is probably going to be in history as a niche anyway. And not that I'll ever run into one, but the Liteon reads/writes DVD-RAM faster as well.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I have had or have:

Lite-On
LG
Panasonic
Asus
Sony

They all work aboutte same. Its the media that you need. Verbatim is ALL you want.
I have had 100% success and reliability with Ritek inkjet printable BD-R media (under both the Ritek & Imation brand names) and Fujifilm BD-RE media using my Lite-On BD burner using imgburn. The Ritek media is frequently on sale for well under $1 per disc, and the small supply of Fuji BD-RE media I keep on hand (10 discs) was acquired for around $3/disc.
The resulting discs look great after printing a label directly onto them with my Epson inkjet printer & play perfectly on both my Sony (3 different models) and Panasonic set-top players. Do not use stick-on labels for discs - ever - they will cause the disc to fail sooner or later.

I've also used Philips BD-R media (Inland Pro brand name) with over 90% successful results. But my experience would have me stick with & recommend Ritek for BD-R media in a Lite-On burner.

The above comments are for 25gb media. I do not use 50gb media at all - far too expensive and unnecessary imo.