Oppo BDP-103 with latest firmware plus bluraychip - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Oppo BDP-103 with latest firmware plus bluraychip

Anyone having issues with the latest firmware?
My Oppo freezes on startup when I try to change regions. Freezes at the logo screen.

Nothing will rectify it unless I power it off then unplug power and replug it back in and turn it back on.

Ugh this sucks!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 AM

There were similar issues with the firmware affecting the multi region chip of the Oppo 93 and 95 a while back. Net result is that I have not upgraded the firmware since on the 95 so as to avoid having these issues. Everything still plays just fine and I simply cannot be bothered with updating the firmware and then having to apply a fix frankly.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
There were similar issues with the firmware affecting the multi region chip of the Oppo 93 and 95 a while back. Net result is that I have not upgraded the firmware since on the 95 so as to avoid having these issues. Everything still plays just fine and I simply cannot be bothered with updating the firmware and then having to apply a fix frankly.
Yah I found this out last night. I blindly installed it unfortunately. Will definitely not do that again. Hopefully bluchipray makes available a firmware update soon.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Apparently the new firmware interferes with some region mods, but users have reported that others continue to work fine. I don't think OPPO intentionally tried to block the mods. This was just an unfortunate side effect of the new programming.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Apparently the new firmware interferes with some region mods, but users have reported that others continue to work fine. I don't think OPPO intentionally tried to block the mods. This was just an unfortunate side effect of the new programming.
How often does Oppo update firmware and does it not always interfere with the region mods?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
How often does Oppo update firmware and does it not always interfere with the region mods?
OPPO's firmware updates don't usually interfere with these region-free mods. However, this one was a major update that seems to have affected this specific mod. Users with other mods (for example, the one from JVB Digital) say theirs still work.

Sadly, because OPPO cannot officially sanction these modifications, they're unlikely to issue another firmware to fix this.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM

It maybe worth checking with the Mod Manufacturer or Installer to see if they themselves have issued a fix. This happened with the UK problems re the 93/95.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM

I have word the mod maker will have a firmware update this week.

Josh I saw your post in the "other" forum LOL

Thank you

EDIT: JUST received email the modmaker has the firmware available. SWEET.

EDIT: And their directions are horrible

Last edited by Boston007; 05-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM

I bought a new Oppo 95 a few months ago with a preinstalled pro mod and iso-compatible firmware. But when I downloaded the latest version of the FW (where the iso feature still works) it disable the mod. Since I just got the player and found out what a major hassle it was to upgrade the mod firmware, I just sent it back for him to fix it for me. I paid the shipping to to him and he paid return shipping but it was worth not dealing with pulling my hair out.

Fortunately I won't have to worry about this problem again since it will never see another FW update (no new feature could ever trump iso playback from an external HD, IMO).
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Well I was finally able to apply the fix to mine today, and it is again region selectable. After this mess and the loss of features, thats the last time I automatically say yes to a FW update! Oppo has never done us this way until now, I don't think they were targeting the region mods(hell they fixed my 93 under warranty even after I told them I had installed the mod, they do not care), but this came too close to rendering my $160 mod useless, and now I can't play backed up BD movies, thankfully I have a PS3 now as a back up player. Christ i wish it were possible to roll back firmware. If I had the money, I'd be shopping for a used one with old firmware.