CyberLink Launches PowerDVD 13 Ultra (Their latest computer Blu-ray player software) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Default CyberLink Launches PowerDVD 13 Ultra (Their latest computer Blu-ray player software)

CyberLink Launches PowerDVD 13 Ultra (Their latest computer Blu-ray player software)

PowerDVD 13 Ultra is currently only available as a download option at the CyberLink home page for $99.95 +$8.50 for the required extended download service. However, the PowerDVD 13 Ultra retail box with CD-ROM and printed instruction manual will be selling for $99.95 plus free shipping on the Amazon website very soon (technically it is already listed on Amazon's website but currently not in stock). It might take up to a few months for the retail box version of PowerDVD Ultra 13 to be made available on the Amazon website and the Cyberlink website.

What is very surprising to me is that Cyberlink still calls this software PowerDVD, instead of calling the software Power Blu-ray Ultra 13. Having the words Blu-ray in the title would most likely sell more copies of the software.

Another issue is it appears the PowerDVD 13 Ultra software just like all other Blu-ray player software does not have a button to send native 1080p/24 to the computer graphics cards that support native 1080p/24 output. It still appears that in 2013 all Blu-ray player software programs still convert 1080p/24 to 1080P 60Hz and then the consumer graphics card is required to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown to convert 1080P 60Hz back to 1080P/24. Converting to 60HZ and then converting back to 24Hz can cause artifacts. In the future, the ideal Blu-ray player software program should have a 24P button that can send native 1080p/24 to compatible graphics cards.

When consumers own a high-end fast computer PowerDVD Ultra is much faster when compared to any standalone Blu-ray player when loading discs and especially when using the BD-LIVE feature. In fact BD-LIVE is very enjoyable to use on a fast desktop or Notebook computer. However some consumers are now using slower computers with PowerDVD Ultra, and this year Cyberlink has designed PowerDVD 13 Ultra with an option to load Blu-ray disc titles by up to 58 percent faster by having an option in the software to turn off the BD-LIVE feature for those consumers that do not want to use the BD-LIVE feature.

There is now even a 4K Quad HD feature for consumers that plan on buying 4K Quad HD displays.

Select quote from the Twice article

The software now has improved start-up speed and responsiveness, using new architecture and application optimization. The company said Blu-ray movies now start up to 58 percent faster with CyberLink’s BD-Live bypass option, enabling photos, videos and music to start playing back almost instantly.”

Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
What is very surprising to me is that Cyberlink still calls this software PowerDVD, instead of calling the software Power Blu-ray Ultra 13. Having the words Blu-ray in the title would most likely sell more copies of the software.
A couple of reasons:

1) The name PowerDVD is well known and has a better ring to it than "Power Blu-ray".

2) The word "DVD" is used generically to refer to both DVDs and Blu-rays. Besides, anyone interested in the product for Blu-ray will know that it works for Blu-ray as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

However all modern standalone Blu-ray players are labeled as Blu-ray players since its widely known that DVD players cannot play Blu-ray discs, except for PowerDVD Ultra.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
To this day, very few people have Blu-Ray players on their computers. If it is a pre-built computer, then it was probably preloaded with viewing software (probably PowerDVD). If the person is installign a reader or burner themselves, then they are probably informed enough to know what software they are going to need (one would hope).

All I can say is that I hope PowerDVD 13 is better than 12. 12 worked on most discs, but I more issues with it crashing and locking up than any other media software I have (well, except maybe Adobe Encore, but that is a topic for another discussion). I prefer Total Media Theater 5, except that the 3D implementation SUCKS (PowerDVD certainly handles 3D content better).

VLC doesn't allow me to navigate menus, but is the most solid Blu-Ray software I have seen.

Looking for another solution now. I don't use my PC except for region-locked discs (mainly because of framerate conversion issues as HDTV1080P stated, and the fact that I am constantly rendering some video or another on my computer - wish there was a way that "I" could control how many cores a program used), but when I do use it, I would like it to just work!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned

PowerDVD Ultra 13 brief review comments

I have now had the chance to use PowerDVD 13 Ultra. I purchased the retail box version that comes with a stamped CD-ROM and printed instruction manual (PDF instructions are also located on the CD-ROM). Even though the list price is $99.95 for PowerDVD 13 Ultra, some online dealers are selling it for around $89.95 including shipping. So the retail box version can be purchased cheaper than the download version. PowerBlu-ray Ultra 13 would be a better name, since consumers would know right away that this product is a Blu-ray player software program for use with computer BD-ROM drives.

I normally start out with the negatives first in my reviews and then get to the positives. PowerDVD 13 Ultra software just like all other Blu-ray player software does not have a button to send native 1080p/24 to the computer graphics cards that support native 1080p/24 output. It still appears that in 2013 all Blu-ray player software programs still convert 1080p/24 to 1080P 60Hz and then the consumer graphics card is required to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown to convert 1080P 60Hz back to 1080P/24. Converting to 60HZ and then converting back to 24Hz can cause artifacts. In the future, the ideal Blu-ray player software program should have a 24P button that can send native 1080p/24 to compatible graphics cards.

For those that own a 4K Quad HD display the computer graphics card is the item that does the conversion from 1080P to Quad HD. There is no special resolution button in the PowerDVD 13 Ultra software to switch to QUAD HD. So just like any Blu-ray computer software one will need to adjust the resolution setting in Windows depending on the computer monitor or HD display being used.

One advantage of all Blu-ray player software players including PowerDVD 13 Ultra is that region free DVD and region free Blu-ray discs that contain 50Hz PAL signals will be converted and upscaled to 1080P 60Hz. Also 1080i 50Hz region free Blu-ray discs will be converted to 1080P at 60Hz. The computer graphics cards and PC Blu-ray players are an ideal way for consumers to watch imported region free DVD’s and Blu-ray discs. Most standalone Blu-ray players in the United States cannot convert 50Hz video to 60Hz video.

Another advantage of PowerDVD 13 Ultra and PowerDVD 12 Ultra is that it allows consumers to play exclusive 3-D Blu-ray content in 2-D without needing to own a 3-D display. I am not talking about the 3-D Blu-ray movie discs that contain both a 2-D and 3-D version of the movie on the same Blu-ray disc. There is certain Blu-ray 3-D discs that when played in a standalone Blu-ray 3-D player and when connected to a 2-D display will pop up a message on the screen to notify consumers that the Blu-ray disc cannot be played since the consumer does not own 3-D equipment. Studios have been coming out with certain Blu-ray 3-D movies that contain exclusive 3-D bonus content that is not available on the 2-D Blu-ray disc versions. So what is special about PowerDVD 13 Ultra and PowerDVD 12 Ultra is that it will convert locked Blu-ray 3-D discs that were only designed to play in 3-D to 2-D quality for those consumers that have not upgraded to a 3-D display yet. For example the Amazing Spiderman on Blu-ray 3-D will not play on the OPPO BDP-93 when connected to 2-D equipment (the only thing that is visible is a screen that mentions that 3-D equipment is required). However if one places The Amazing Spider-Man 3-D Blu-ray disc in PowerDVD Ultra 13 or PowerDVD Ultra 12 the software will detect that only a 2-D display is connected and will convert the 3-D image to 2-D and allow the movie and exclusive 3-D bonus feature to be played (One must check the box “Enable Blu-ray 3D support” in the software settings of PowerDVD Ultra 13).

When testing PowerDVD Ultra 13 I used both a fast desktop PC with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition Experience Index of 7.8 (7.9 for sold state drive) and a fast Notebook computer with a Windows Experience index of 6.3 (7.8 for sold state drive). Installing PowerDVD Ultra 13 from CD-ROM was extremely fast. PowerDVD Ultra 13 comes with BD-LIVE disabled to increase loading speed of Blu-ray discs. However since I always like using BD-LIVE, I enabled the BD-LIVE feature by checking the option “Enable network for BD-LIVE”. Also by default PowerDVD Ultra 13 limits the BD-LIVE and Blu-ray java storage area size to only 1GB. However, I have found that when one wants to download all the bonus features and trailers that 4GB or larger space is needed. So if one unchecks the “Limit the size of the cache storage to” option then the cache storage will use up to the entire space of the computer drive. Also PowerDVD Ultra 13 allows consumers to clear the cache storage area with a push of the “Clear Cache” button.

PowerDVD Ultra 13 had extremely fast Blu-ray disc loading times even with BD-LIVE enabled. Much faster loading speed when compared to a standalone Blu-ray player. Some consumers might consider the OPPO and Panasonic Blu-ray players to offer fast BD-LIVE performance, however when compared to Power DVD Ultra 13 all standalone Blu-ray players BD-LIVE performance is slow. What can sometimes take literally minutes to do on the OPPO Blu-ray players with BD-LIVE, took less than a second with Power DVD Ultra 13. The BD-LIVE feature on a fast desktop or fast Notebooks has always been the best experience. Those that complain about using BD-LIVE on standalone Blu-ray players, should use PowerDVD Ultra 13 for all their BD-LIVE download and streaming activity.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I have followed the Powerdvd products over the years.
Very little has changed between each version, and it is quite disappointing that even in this day and age they still do not support /24P. I have a right mind to go to the website and issue a few "shame on yous." No 24P, the downloadable version cost too much when compared to the physical version.

Regarding playing 3D content on a 2D display, nice to see they have included this. I though this was a function of standalone players as well, no?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Most Blu-ray 3-D discs will work in both a Blu-ray 2-D and Blu-ray 3-D standalone players. When playing most Blu-ray 3-D discs in a standalone Blu-ray 3-D player when it is connected to a 2-D display, the movie will play in 2-D just fine. However for locked Blu-ray 3-D discs like Amazing Spiderman Blu-ray 3-D and Prometheus Blu-ray 3-D, when a consumer plays those Blu-ray discs on a Blu-ray 3-D standalone player like the OPPO BDP-93 and other standalone Blu-ray 3D players, what happens is if the display is only 2-D a message located on the 3-D Blu-ray title will pop up on the screen saying that the movie cannot be played since 3-D equipment has not been detected. Both an OPPO 3-D Blu-ray player and Panasonic 3-D Blu-ray player received the same message on the screen when trying to play the locked Blu-ray 3-D titles on a 2-D display. What has happen is studios for certain Blu-ray 3-D discs, have mastered the Blu-ray discs for only 3-D playback, and if 3-D equipment is not detected the movie will not play. Of course most Blu-ray 3-D locked movies also come with a second Blu-ray 2-D disc in the same package, however once and awhile exclusive 3-D bonus material is only available on the 3-D Blu-ray version. What PowerDVD Ultra 13 and PowerDVD Ultra 12 does is it will convert the 3-D locked Blu-ray discs to 2-D if the customers equipment does not support 3-D. I have not seen a standalone 3-D Blu-ray player offer that feature yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 AM

I like Total Media Theatre much better because they don't remove features away like HD DVD playback.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Default Complete Waste of Money

Extremely slow apparently due to Cyberlink windows services running which need to be disabled in order to play DVDs. Also program needs to be blocked in Windows Firewall. Cyberlink reenables the windows services after updates/upgrades so you have to disable them again. Finally when you’ve messed around doing all that it can turn out there is no sound. Pricey. Unreliable. Uninstalled.