USB Video Input Resolution - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 PM

Default USB Video Input Resolution

I have been on a lot of forums and I have yet received an answer to this question.

I, probably like many, hook up my external USB HDD to my DVD player when I want to watch my movies. That is because I have about 400 movies on one of my external HDD.

I have never had any problems reading my external USB HDD's on the two DVD Players I have. The problem is that the USB inputs will only support the DVD standard to 720 x resolution for the movies. So, I have had to downsize many of my HD movies to this resolution for playback, losing of course quality. I know about automatic upconverting,
from 720 x, not interested in that.

720 x resolution is quickly being overtaken by 1020, 1280, 1920 HDef resolutions. Not a problem when reading off a DVD.

Almost no DVD Player manufacturer lists the actual resolutions supported in their spec sheets for the USB Port, only formats. Most everybody today uses the HDMI rear port to their TV. Of course even USB Playback goes thru this connector to be displayed. Why not have the high resolution codec support for USB ?

I bought a new BluRay Player which I believe accepts beyond 720 x by USB, but even contacting tech support, they didn' know.

I don't know if you can mention brand names here, but does anyone have a BluRay Player that accepts above the 720 x reolution through the USB Port of xvid, divx, and MKV files. Please no speculation, someone who has experienced it. If the model and manufacturer are allowed on this forum, please note.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Every Blu-ray player I have ever owned or known of will play 1080p ripped Blu-rays through the USB ports, no problems. Even the $69 Blu-ray players do it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, my DVD Player and Home Theater were not BluRay. The one I just ordered is. I suspect it probably will have the ceiling raised, just as you mention. I am really interested in replies about 1280 and 1920 as many new ones have them in their other resolution selections