BluRay DVD/Home Theater - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Default BluRay DVD/Home Theater

Don 't see a specific hardware forum, but I am sure I will get the answer here.

Looking for a good brand name DVD Player or Home Theater System that will allow High Definition Playback through the USB port. A lot of hardware, especially older will only accept files for example, that are 720 x or lower through the USB port. Other higher resolution will give you a resolution not accepted on screen.

I want to have xvid. .divx, and .MKV files of high resolution to be selected from an external usb hard drive plugged into the USB port. After all it is easy to make high resolution videos in both these formats.

Please try to include model names if possible. I have two home theater systems in my house and both of them will not play any video through the USB Port of higher than 720 resolution.

Thanks, Petel
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Don't know budget is, but the Oppo BDP-103 for $500 can play all of those formats easily.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Default Wow

I don't mind a couple hundred, but yeah that is above my budget. I have to believe there is a Samsung, Sony, or Philips that will do it. Problem is, they never mention resolution supported input under USB in their specifications, only formats. I don't know why they do not. Almost every TV supports high resolution. The HDMI output connector support in every output of new hardware is great. Even a 32 gig Flash drive will hold a good deal of xvid divx movies. but it is useless if you use a USB input that doesn't support the high definition. Also, many movie downloads now are HD compression formats. Why not take advantage this using a external small laptop USB HDD or even a flash drive.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Samsung talked to me on live chat and said the BD-C6500 would do what I wanted. I haven't heard from Sony yet. but, the reviews of the BD-C6500 are good. The only downfall they are a little slow. Best of all you can get one now for $138 or less. I don't care about bells and whistles, just want HD playback through USB Port.

From a review listed below.

The BD-C6500 is also DLNA-compliant and capable of streaming video, audio, and photo files from a network-connected PC or viewing them from USB drive. The DLNA compliancy is a big step up from the "PC streaming" feature offered last year that was difficult to set up, even for tech enthusiasts; we had no problem streaming files this year. We also had no trouble playing a couple MKV and DivX HD files off an attached USB drive; a full list of supported formats is available in the manual on page 10.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM

Default BluRay Players

Not much action in this forum. The above player I mentioned, downloaded the pdf manual and it says does not detect external HDD's. I bought a Philips that does it all for under $60 which includes an internal network card. Plays all HD formats through the USB Port and reads HDD also. It was refurbished, but came directly from Philips. A new one is about $128.