Did you compare the AQ of a movie in its DVD/Bd versions, did you heardaud diference? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM

Question Did you compare the AQ of a movie in its DVD/Bd versions, did you heardaud diference?

Yep, anybody here compare the audio between a movie in its dvd and the blu ray version, it is an audible improvement the blu ray in AQ AGAINST the DVD?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM

In the early days of the format I compared a number of lossless blu rays to their DVD counterparts, either with DD or DTS on the DVD. In pretty much all cases the difference is audible, lossless tracks have better imaging/transparency and they just sound smoother. Now comparing DD+ to a lossless track is tougher, personally I couldn't detect a deffierence when I compared the D+ on Training Day to it's DD TrueHD counterpart.

I do believe the difference won't be noticable on entry level speakers, HTIB's, soundbars etc.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM

It has been years since I compared but standard Dolby Digital compared to lossless Blu-ray was always an easy choice, the difference is clearly apparent, with modest equipment but not HTIB quality. One that has always completely stumped me, lossless stereo CD, 44.1kHz/16-Bit, compared to the same mastering lossless high resolution stereo, 96kHz/24-Bit PCM but some claim to be able to routinely distinguish that. I haven't seen it proven by a scientific study but I accept trained ears, a sound engineer for instance, given a high resolution recording can hear it. I have seen claims of being able to distinguish 192kHz/24-Bit PCM from 96kHz/24-Bit PCM, really?

Standard DVD Dolby Digital is not bad really, not as bad as its reputation in my opinion, but is easily improved on by the advanced lossy codecs and trounced by the lossless variety. In my opinion music is where DVD-V Dolby Digital struggles most, something like 96kHz/24-Bit DTS, although lossy sounds so much better. I have hundreds of surround music DVD-Vs using lossy audio and hundreds of discs using lossless audio and quite a number of albums same mastering in both and have spent time comparing. I am happy enough with 96kHz/24-Bit lossy DTS that I will sell the lossless version when it is worth some money and just live with lossy. Depeche Mode, Genesis, Donald Fagen and several others are available like that, either as lossy DVD-Vs or lossless DVD-A or SACD.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM

tO BE HONEST MANY of the movies review from here dont convince to upgrade my DVD movie with its BD counterpart, as for example First Blood trilogy, Die Hard 1&2, Jaws, Alien/Aliens, Preadators movie, I have all these one in DVD but with this is ok to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM

To each his own, not everyone is an A/Vphile, we all have our priorities.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
To each his own, not everyone is an A/Vphile, we all have our priorities.

sO WHAT A HECK ARE YOU DOING HERE? Get a Blu Ray is for watch and heard the best of you can from a movie, if you want only watch a movie with a DVD is more than enough.

This is something that always argue here, why in the reviews the reviewers dont compare the DVD against the BD in AQ/PQ, there are but just a few ones.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Well they did in the old days, but it was almost always the same, i.e the Blu Rays sound better, so they don't bother anymore. And as cheap as BDs are getting it's pointless even comparing new releases like Predators. It seemed to me once HD DVD and Blu Ray hit, studios really started phoning in DVDs, DTS tracks became extremely rare on DVD after the dawn of the new formats. Though you might not be able to discern a difference I can hear the difference in every movie you referenced above, except Predators, never seen that DVD.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Cat View Post
sO WHAT A HECK ARE YOU DOING HERE? Get a Blu Ray is for watch and heard the best of you can from a movie, if you want only watch a movie with a DVD is more than enough.
Whoa you got hostile there. In turn, this is HIGHDEFDIGEST.COM. What are YOU doing here? Go watch a DVD and stop bothering us with your insecureties.

Gotta say I love how the anonymity of the internet grows people ball size. If we were all sitting around a table talking idly about this stuff, would you get it my face and tell me to leave just because I didn't agree with you? No, because A, it's rude, and B you'd know deep down you'd deserve an ass kicking. I've been nothing but polite, thats all I ever am, but little cretins like you go around spouting all the BS as loudly as you want online without any fear of the social consequences doing that in real life leads to, disgusting.

Last edited by Plissken99; 02-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Dont missjudge me pal, just was an expresion you know?

My point is: Why are gonna change my old DVD collection if its BD counterparts is gonna gave us just a slightly improvement?

Why the reviewer dont compare the new DVDs/BD anymore? Maybe even the new one sound as same as its DVDs.

Just saiyan.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Because the reviewers review Blu Rays, they get free Blu Ray review copies, they don't get free DVDs. They used to compare them because they had the DVD back in the day, not so with new releases, catalog or not. And since DVDs pretty much never were as good as the their BD counterparts, why should they waste time to tell us over and over again, yes, it's better than the DVD even if they did get free DVD versions?

If you don't want to upgrade your DVD collection, no one is trying to force you, DVDs are readily available and cheaper than ever. Sorry if i was a little harsh, but this is an old point your making, and it's fine, you don't want to upgrade, others do, to each his own.