Questions before I buy Oppo BDP-103 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Default Questions before I buy Oppo BDP-103

I am getting ready to buy this player and just had a few clarifying questions that I cannot find exact answers on.

1 - Do I need an receiver for audio or can I just hook up my surround system directly from the player?

2 - How is the 2D-3D conversion?

3 - My main reason for getting this is to play flac files from an external hard driver. Many of these files are 24/96 & 24/192 files. Is there any issues with doing this and will they reproduce the full file output quality?

4 - Are there any alternatives to this player that are in the $200-$300 range? I need 2D-3D conversion, ability to play flac files from a hard drive with audiophile playback, and excellent video quality.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint.2332 View Post
1 - Do I need an receiver for audio or can I just hook up my surround system directly from the player?
The audio outputs on this player are HDMI or multi-channel analog. In either case, you will need a receiver (or at least an external amp) to power your speakers. The OPPO player does not have an amplifier section or speaker terminals.

Quote:
2 - How is the 2D-3D conversion?
Real-time 3D conversion is a gimmick under the best of circumstances. I played around with this for a few minutes. It was OK, but nothing special.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 AM

Same here on the 3D conversion, it has varying results, new animiation movies convert nicely. Also the ending of Freddy's Dead works really well when converted to 3D.

As to the flac question, I do not know, but I would imagine it will play them, it plays just about anything. You can email Oppo support about it and they should respond quickly. And I don't know if any player that does what the Oppo can do, short of an HTPC.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I figured 3D conversion is a gimmick, but there could be some good results. I just like to know that it works for the most part. The main thing is the ability to read my music. I'd rather get an all-in-one blu ray player rather than a blu ray player for movies and a separate device to play the music...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint.2332 View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I figured 3D conversion is a gimmick, but there could be some good results. I just like to know that it works for the most part.
One neat thing about the BDP-103 is that it also has an HDMI input. So, you can feed it a video signal from another source (for example, your cable/satellite DVR) and it will convert that to 3D as well.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.