Least expensive Blu-ray player with component video & 7.1 analog outs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Default Least expensive Blu-ray player with component video & 7.1 analog outs?

My Panny finally stopped reading discs so I'm in the market for a new Blu-ray player. But I'm still dealing with non-HDMI equipment (though my Toshiba 65" does 1080i through component). I know Oppo still offers this, but is there any other less expensive players out there still offering both audio and video outs for folks like me?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM

The industry has "sunsetted" analog video connections. Any current model Blu-ray player that still has Component outputs can only transmit standard-definition video through them. High definition is prohibited, and will be downconverted to SD. HD is only allowed through HDMI.

If you still need Component for your older HDTV, you'll need to go to eBay or other second-hand markets and look for old and/or used players.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM

This makes me incredibly sad! Thanks for the info, however. Looks like a repair shop for Panny's may be in my future.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM

I expect you can track down a nice condition used Sony BDP-S550 for a reasonable price - probably for less than what it would cost to fix your Panasonic player. If it was my Panasonic player, I would open it up and make sure the laser lens assembly in the drive is clean (a q-tip, denatured alcohol, and a steady, gentle hand is required). If that doesn't help, I'd take down any model numbers that are available and start watching for a replacement drive on sale somewhere. You might also pick up a lower model in the same series to snag the drive out of it (for example, I expect you will find that the BD drive in a model 35 is the same drive as in the model 55). Just some ideas . . .
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM

Thanks Rich86. I did try cleaning the lenses, but it did no good However, I will now start looking for a replacement drive as you suggested! Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!