PCM vs. DD TrueHD - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Which HD audio format do you prefer?
I use HDMI for audio and prefer PCM 41 41.41%
I use HDMI for audio and prefer DD TrueHD 22 22.22%
I use Multichannel analog and prefer PCM 13 13.13%
I use Multichannel analog and prefer DD TrueHD 5 5.05%
I'm format neutral and both sound the same to me 15 15.15%
DTS is better and I want DTS-HD MA 3 3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Arrow PCM vs. DD TrueHD

I have seen posts all over the place about who thinks what is the better sound format on Blu Ray releases. I wanted to bring this together in a single thread and get an idea of what people are experiencing vs. what they are using.

I excluded the DTS HD MA because there is no way to decode it as of yet. Since many of us are fortunate to experience DD TrueHD in its full glory, I figued it would be nice to do a general comparison of it vs. the PCM uncompressed tracks.

I have noticed that the reviews on this site tend to get a higher mark in the audio department when it has a TrueHD track. I personally find the TrueHD track to be a little subdued on the dynamic range, and find PCM to be more natural sounding and a bit louder too. I would like to see what you guys think.

EDIT* Don't forget to write a reason why the format you choose is better. There will be many newbies to this site looking to see what all the hype is about regarding HD audio formats.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
I have noticed that the reviews on this site tend to get a higher mark in the audio department when it has a TrueHD track. I personally find the TrueHD track to be a little subdued on the dynamic range, and find PCM to be more natural sounding and a bit louder too. I would like to see what you guys think.
The only disc available that has both PCM and TrueHD for the same movie soundtrack is the new Fifth Element remaster.

You cannot compare the sound mixes of completely different movies and make judgements about the merits of the audio codec used.

Lossless means "no loss". Once decoded, a lossless TrueHD track is literally 100% bit-for-bit identical to an uncompressed PCM track of the same movie.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
I have seen posts all over the place about who thinks what is the better sound format on Blu Ray releases. I wanted to bring this together in a single thread and get an idea of what people are experiencing vs. what they are using.

I excluded the DTS HD MA because there is no way to decode it as of yet. Since many of us are fortunate to experience DD TrueHD in its full glory, I figued it would be nice to do a general comparison of it vs. the PCM uncompressed tracks.

There should be no difference between the two, hence lossless. The differences you are experiencing are attributed by Dialog Normalization used on the TrueHD tracks. But the TrueHD tracks that do not have Dialog Normalization, those mainly by Sony, sound identical to me.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The only disc available that has both PCM and TrueHD for the same movie soundtrack is the new Fifth Element remaster.

You cannot compare the sound mixes of completely different movies and make judgements about the merits of the audio codec used.

Lossless means "no loss". Once decoded, a lossless TrueHD track is literally 100% bit-for-bit identical to an uncompressed PCM track of the same movie.
Very true, but as new movies with both tracks emerge, this thread will become more relevant. Also noted that I pointed out the fact that videos with TrueHD tracks get higher grades for audio than videos with PCM tracks (in general).
Old 07-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Ghost Rider is another one that contains both PCM and TrueHD on the same disc.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Don't forget "Stomp the Yard"... Talk about a dynamically charged audio track. For me, there was a night a day difference between the two tracks on this disc.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:46 PM

I used to think that PCM sounds just a bit better than TrueHD, but after I watched Ghost Rider, I can't tell the difference. Now I prefer them both, as long as studios keep releasing movies with lossless audio tracks, I'm a happy camper.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellon View Post
There should be no difference between the two, hence lossless. The differences you are experiencing are attributed by Dialog Normalization used on the TrueHD tracks. But the TrueHD tracks that do not have Dialog Normalization, those mainly by Sony, sound identical to me.
DialNorm does not alter the quality of the soundtrack. It just sets the default baseline volume level for the entire track. Once properly volume-matched, a disc using DialNorm and one without are identical.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM

PCM is good enough for me. Ive heard TrueHD and I didnt really notice any form of difference and I consider myself an Audiophiliac(sp?)
Old 07-25-2007, 06:20 PM

pcm is all i need